News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Dan, any idea where that next crossover installation might be planned for?
- Paul
I'll have to go through the EA documents, but I could have sworn that it was going to be between Rutherford and Maple.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Your memory is correct. I dug into the preliminary design plates included in the EA, and it shows up on the left side of drawing 38 and the far right edge of drawing 39 (warning, bonkers-huge-slow PDF)

To save everyone the grief of loading it, just picture a pair of crossovers spaced roughly equidistant around here, or around mile 17.7 of the Newmarket subdivision. Assuming it doesn't shift in the final design and nobody comes up with a better name, could this mean a "Golden Orchard" controlled location will be coming soon to a operating timetable near you? (thanks, McMansion-builders of Vaughan, for your creativity).

The next pairs of crossovers to the south are Snider South (mile 12.8) and then a new one just north of Castlefield at mile 7.2 before getting to Parkdale. The next pairs of crossovers to the north are just south of the King-Vaughan boundary at mile 22.2 (the existing switches at the top and bottom of the Teston passing track are slated to vanish) and then just south of Aurora GO at mile 29.4. In other words, they seem to have been spaced out pretty evenly, with roughly 5 miles between each set, give or take.

Last edited:
Had my first look at GO Downsview Park Station last night while waiting for a Union Train that ended up been cancel and the other one was still 8 minutes out 30 minutes later. A northbound train was sitting there for some time before we arrived and departed about 20 minutes later due to switch problems.

The main centre platform for the future southbound track is built and ready for use once they build the rest of the platform.

The east platform extend about 150' north of Sheppard Ave on the bridge, with room for a 2nd track. Since this will be 3 track area, a new bridge extension will have to be built to support the future southbound track and the west platform over Sheppard.

Waiting inside of the subway is bitching cold, even with all the doors close. Need to go to the concourse level to get out of some of the station coldness.

Took some photos, but almost a month behind getting the ones in front of them done and hope to work on then later this week.

The main centre platform for the future southbound track is built and ready for use once they build the rest of the platform.

I could be wrong but it looked to me like the west platform and western station entrance to the subway would be for the future western most track which would be for the southbound trains.

The eastern platform and station entrance is open as we know for the eastern track. So there wouldn't be a centre platform. There would be an eastern and western platform but not a centre one. I'm sure the track plans/TYSSE documents would show this conclusively. Happy to be corrected.
2EsKmGV

Last edited:
I think he meant the middle section of the west (southbound) platform, with the raised accessibility area, directly in front of the west building, is complete. Just awaiting extensions of said platform to the north and south for full train length. Which (northward anyway) is awaiting a new bridge widening/extension to the west to accommodate the third track & platform

I could be wrong but it looked to me like the west platform and western station entrance to the subway would be for the future western most track which would be for the southbound trains.

The eastern platform and station entrance is open as we know for the eastern track. So there wouldn't be a centre platform. There would be an eastern and western platform but not a centre one. I'm sure the track plans/TYSSE documents would show this conclusively. Happy to be corrected.
2EsKmGV

Centre part of the southbound/west platform, not centre platform for north and south service on each side.

Last edited:

Here is the centre section of the future southbound platform shot last night. No idea if more platform is there with all the snow in the way.
39407245582_37fdf3983b_b.jpg

25567716058_0d4545fda2_b.jpg

Since Metrolinx owns the Barrie line, shouldn't new platforms be fully 20 inch height for the comfort of their riders, rather than 8 inch? Or did CN require oversized load access as a condition of sale?

Since Metrolinx owns the Barrie line, shouldn't new platforms be fully 20 inch height for the comfort of their riders, rather than 8 inch? Or did CN require oversized load access as a condition of sale?

You raise a very interesting point, especially so in light of all the new station designs that we are seeing floated for upcoming RFP's/RFQ's. Something to consider as we study these - will the design still be viable and pretty if the platform height is retrofitted to a) 20 inch b) full single level level boarding? How many stairwells, elevators, utilities, light poles, fences, platform warming systems etc will need major mods? How much would retrofitting cost?
Is this roughing in/future functionality included in the ML spec when these designs are commissioned?

- Paul

Last edited:
^ And related to this (and I realize there's a thread for Union already), the new CEO's comments about level boarding at Union.

So they're expanding parking without providing more trains?

So they're expanding parking without providing more trains?

1) parking is over capacity at most GO stations and there is generally latent demand not being served.
2) this redevelopment is largely to provide a better connection to the Hurontario LRT line. More pedestrian paths are being added as well, and there are bus bays.
3) more trains are just a matter of when, not if.

1) parking is over capacity at most GO stations and there is generally latent demand not being served.
2) this redevelopment is largely to provide a better connection to the Hurontario LRT line. More pedestrian paths are being added as well, and there are bus bays.
3) more trains are just a matter of when, not if.

Considering that it's the Milton Line and that it's blatantly overcrowded, they would have added more trains to the line a long time ago, however, CP keeps pushing for GO to find another alternative. They may add more train service in the future but there is a definite limit and it will be reached very soon.

Also, it's been discussed on this thread or the other GO Transit thread before, but parking should not be the focus or even a real consideration for GO train station expansion, unless it is within a rural area where densification is either impossible, not feasible, or not attractive. Considering there's an LRT line here, parking is not the best idea for this area.

Considering that it's the Milton Line and that it's blatantly overcrowded, they would have added more trains to the line a long time ago, however, CP keeps pushing for GO to find another alternative. They may add more train service in the future but there is a definite limit and it will be reached very soon.

Also, it's been discussed on this thread or the other GO Transit thread before, but parking should not be the focus or even a real consideration for GO train station expansion, unless it is within a rural area where densification is either impossible, not feasible, or not attractive. Considering there's an LRT line here, parking is not the best idea for this area.

More track will have to be built to enable expansion, at great cost and with lots of CP negotiation. That doesn't mean there will be no more trains, that means it will take a lot of time and money before more trains are added. So like I said, more trains are a matter of when, not if. It might be 2030 or 2040 but it'll happen.

As for parking, similarly as has been discussed to death, parking is the means by which the majority of GO commuters access trains. It's all well and good that you think it shouldn't be a consideration, but GO has to deal with reality, and the reality is that people like to park at GO stations. We can either build parking and get cars off the road, or we can not build parking and those cars can drive all the way to downtown Toronto and clog up streets there even worse. I don't understand why so many people hold this mistaken belief that if you stop building GO parking people will just walk, cycle, or take local transit to their stations--no, they'll just drive downtown. I think the choice is clear, and GO does too.

Back