News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The stuff is actually very impressive. It's even quite comfortable to sit on.

It's actually quite amusing to watch all the people around debating whether or not it's real... most of the time they have to come over and put their hand on it.

That's amazing to hear. We take pride in making the most realistic artificial grass.

AGL has always been on the cutting edge of technology, The challenge with the industry is that there is a lot of bad products and bad installations out there.

Most people don't know that the technology has changed dramatically in the past few years. Not only can you conserve water, prevent pesticide use, it can be installed almost anywhere. Dogs can do their business on it and it's easily cleaned up, great for playgrounds because of its softness and perfect for rooftop gardens and terraces.

Harbourfront is a great example. It was a challenged area for years. A complete nightmare with all the rainy days we've had. Now all they have to do is groom it periodically and it will last a good 20+ years.

Other sites in the City that are worth checking out is the Ontario Science centre Amphitheater seating in the front of the building, or the Sport field at Upper Canada College.

Sorry about that... I was excited that people were talking about the install at the Harbourfront:) Were very proud of it.

Hi TO Boy,

We are unsure as to the Citypark place.

We did install some of the roof tops at the Concord buildings, The architects for that projects has contacted us about a few other projects in the area, but nothing has been mentioned about Citypark yet... If anyone knows someone, we always appreciate the help.

I think it would be perfect for a dog run area.

Someone got hurt

To some, like waterfront resident Paul Thomas, it's the leg-breaker at the foot of Simcoe St.

Thomas, 47, blames the steep incline of the $6-million Simcoe WaveDeck for the severe leg injury he suffered July 3 while attempting to navigate its sloping surfaces.

"I haven't been able to work at all," Thomas said. "It's just devastated my life."

His lawyer, Charles Gluckstein, notified City Hall he intends to file a lawsuit for the severed tendon and partially broken kneecap Thomas suffered after stepping down from the WaveDeck's west hump to the next-highest level.

Thomas views the WaveDeck as a beautiful vibrant addition to the downtown waterfront. But he also thinks it's dangerous.

MUNICIPAL STANDARDS

"I thought it was safe when I was on it, but I'm a prime example that it's not," Thomas said. "I just think that for them to spend so much on something so beautiful, you'd think they'd make it a little safer."

Safety advocates say the 650-square-metre wooden boardwalk, which has a 42% slope at the steepest part, should be closed until engineers make it safer.

"I think the Harbourfront is a great place to go. I just don't think the gateway to that facility should be this risky," Brian Patterson, president of the Ontario Safety League, said. "The city's engineers should move quickly to correct it."

The dramatic and unorthodox WaveDeck -- designed by Rotterdam firm West 8 -- is one of three unveiled in the past year by Waterfront Toronto, the agency revitalizing the downtown waterfront.

The agency spent $14 million on three completed decks along Queens Quay at Spadina Ave., Rees St. and Simcoe St. A fourth WaveDeck is slated for Parliament St.

Waterfront Toronto and city officials wouldn't comment about Thomas' pending suit but said the boardwalks abide by municipal planning standards. West 8 officials weren't available for comment.

Thomas, who owns a company that invents and markets board games, said he was hospitalized for two weeks after developing complications from his surgery.

Thomas said he was forced to live on credit cards and loans from friends while off work. Gluckstein said it hasn't been determined how much the claim will be but would likely seek damages for pain and suffering and lost wages.

"It's our view that this is a dangerous design and it's a safety hazard for the public," he said. "It's completely the cause of his injuries."

:eek:

47 years old? WTF was he doing on a 42-degree incline???

They should have a very visible sign: "Use at our own risk. But don't sue us if sh*t happens."

He hasn't been able to do his work, which is INVENTING BOARD GAMES, because he has a broken leg?

Also, this Brian Patterson guy makes it sound like you have to cross the wavedeck to get to the Harbourfront Centre.

There are thousands and thousands of things in this city on which you can hurt yourself. Take a bit of personal responsibility..

If this guy wins the case, you can be sure that there will be tons of lawsuits flooding in, just to scam the city for money.

I see one solution to make it safer: install handrails at the edge of the parabolas. It can be very modern and artistic if done right.

Actually, I have an even better solution. Put a sledgehammer before the entrance and have a sign saying - if you don't have half a brain, use the hammer on both your legs now so that you can't use the deck, hurt yourself and sue the rest of us.

AoD

Just sent this off:

Mr. Thomas,

I am greatly disappointed to hear that you are taking legal action against the city for the injuries you incurred on the Simcoe Wavedeck. As I'm sure you know, this brilliant piece of design is one of the initial steps in our long-awaited waterfront revitalization. It would seem that you, like many others, wished to visit the harbor on the day in question - perhaps to see the sights, take in the smells and enjoy life in our great city - and at some point, came across the Wavedeck. Intrigued, you wished to scale its imaginative and sensuous curves. You walked over, curious at what this strange, billowing, wooden object might be and, stepping over the metal threshold, began to climb. At some point, you may have been standing atop the highest peak, admiring what an interesting piece of design this is and calculating your next move. Unfortunately, soon after, you lost your footing and tumbled, painfully, to the ground. Picking yourself up, you realize your knee is not as it was - it was now broken.

And this is where you will have to explain to me how this is not your fault. I am not a lawyer and I have no intention of harassing you in any way, but I would like you to explain how you missed the clear signage indicating the slope of the deck and that it could be potentially dangerous, the metal bar, crossing which meaning you accepted the consequences for future actions and the hordes of people (kids included) who were using the deck uninjured. You are 47 years of age - not elderly, but definitely not spry - and clearly confident enough in your abilities to use the deck. So why would you turn around when you were unfortunately injured and say that it was somebody else's fault?

Furthermore, your claim that this has impeded your work so completely that this has 'devistated your life' is a little hyperbolic and quite frankly, ridiculous. I also enjoyed the quote: "I just think that for them to spend so much on something so beautiful, you'd think they'd make it a little safer," because you clearly recognize the aesthetic value of such an avant-garde design, yet wish it to be altered so that the curves which make it so evocative would be neutered.

Paul, we need more designs like this one, not fewer. Why did you even want to climb it? Most likely, it was because you enjoyed the object and wished to interact with it, climbing and sliding as others most likely were. It is precisely these small pieces of urban design which fit together and make living in our city just a little bit better. Remember how you felt about the deck before you broke your knee? That's how everyone else (minus your crony Brian Patterson) feels and would like to continue feeling for decades to come.

So Paul, accept responsibility, enjoy the fact that our progressive society treated your leg for free (or next to nothing) and realize that it was that same progressive attitude in society and culture which birthed and fosters the Wavedecks.

I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best for the rest of the year,

Back