News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

a route on Lawrence will never make sense unless you want to build a st. clair streetcar style service, I doubt there is any demand. the ECLRT will likely be able to handle itself well into the 2060s, so I don't see the point of this at all.

York Mills Ellesmere?

xjUCf9c.png

York Mills becomes Parkswood Village Drive which then becomes Ellesmere

Not that it would be my first priority for the city, but if we really had to have a 'Crosstown' here, couldn't it just reuse the Eglinton Tunnels? The route could go accross Dixon, down Weston or Scarlett Road to Eglinton then through the forthcoming Crosstown tunnels until Don Mills, then north and across Lawrence East to UTSC or something.

I don't think this woud neccesary anytime soon, though.

The original thinking when TC came out and Jane St line was built, that 512 would be converted to standard gauge when it came time to replace the tracks. By doing so, you disconnect the line from the rest of the system and use the new carhouse.This would deal with the Bathurst hill as well deadhead time to/from the yard.
That intention is interesting but news to me. I think there was a lot of extracting plans from asses when it came to Jane since much of it south of Eglinton would surely have had to be underground. On the other hand the bit north of Eglinton would have allowed car switching between the Finch and Eglinton yards in addition to improving transit capacity.

I'm hoping that if post-Ford administrations give a go-ahead to a fleet expansion to cope with Cherry/QQE/demand matching on existing routes then some room will be found to create a division at Hillcrest and deal with the deadheading that way not to mention create some geographic resilency because of the decision to locate Leslie Barns so close to Russell and since any westward link to Portlands trackage is WAY into the future if it ever happens.

That intention is interesting but news to me. I think there was a lot of extracting plans from asses when it came to Jane since much of it south of Eglinton would surely have had to be underground. On the other hand the bit north of Eglinton would have allowed car switching between the Finch and Eglinton yards in addition to improving transit capacity.

I have to wonder if Giambrone and Miller ever took a trip down Jane. South of Eglinton, it is basically a small residential avenue. North of Eglinton it is more commercial, but not the wide arterial roads that Eglinton, Finch and Sheppard are. It really isn't wide enough for an LRT until you reach Hwy 401. I'm curious about how they expected to get an LRT down there.

I have to wonder if Giambrone and Miller ever took a trip down Jane. South of Eglinton, it is basically a small residential avenue. North of Eglinton it is more commercial, but not the wide arterial roads that Eglinton, Finch and Sheppard are. It really isn't wide enough for an LRT until you reach Hwy 401. I'm curious about how they expected to get an LRT down there.

It would have to be a subway. And even then the ridership would not be all that great.

It would have to be a subway. And even then the ridership would not be all that great.

By subway, I'm assuming you mean underground light rail transit like Eglinton. That would be way too expensive.

The line probably would have ran on a ROW on Jane to Weston Road. And then go east to follow the Weston Railpath or Weston Road to Dundas West Station.

I really hope the Jane LRT, along with Waterfront West and Malvern are revisited when we have a new administration in City Hall. They would have been very helpful.

The Transit City plan for Jane LRT was to connect with BD at Jane Station.

The Transit City plans weren't anything more than vague concepts drawn up by some politicians. The details needed to be worked out. I think that back in 2009 the TTC was working on a study to figure out how to best get the Jane LRT down to Bloor, since obviously it couldn't run on Jane south of Eglinton. One of the options was to run the LRT east on Weston road to Dundas West station.

By subway, I'm assuming you mean underground light rail transit like Eglinton. That would be way too expensive.

The line probably would have ran on a ROW on Jane to Weston Road. And then go east to follow the Weston Railpath or Weston Road to Dundas West Station.

I really hope the Jane LRT, along with Waterfront West and Malvern are revisited when we have a new administration in City Hall. They would have been very helpful.

The Transit City plan for Jane LRT was to connect with BD at Jane Station.

The Transit City plans weren't anything more than vague concepts drawn up by some politicians. The details needed to be worked out. I think that back in 2009 the TTC was working on a study to figure out how to best get the Jane LRT down to Bloor, since obviously it couldn't run on Jane south of Eglinton. One of the options was to run the LRT east on Weston road to Dundas West station.

I mean both, but you would be right. Something has to be done about Jane, Islington, McCowan and Kingston Road because the is the mean reason why Yonge and University are packed. We need to spread demand out. Someone should be able to get downtown or the NYCC without using the already built subway. If its HRT or LRT I don't care.

The closest the Jane LRT had of getting done was in the TC plan. Since then it's been classed with the Waterfront West LRT as "things we hope you'll forget we talked about doing".

Even if it did go down Weston I just don't know how much extra stuff we can expect the GO Bloor-TTC Dundas West node to take.

. Speaking of Lawrence said:
Why would Bathurst to Bayview be tunelled but not Bathurst to Jane? Lawrence isi the same width from Jane (even west of Jane) to Yonge and Mt Pleasent (I don't usually venture to Bayview - two lanes travelling in both directions.

I don't know if anything on Lawrence beyond a Rapid Bus (so, Viva/Zum-style "BRT") is defensible, especially after Eglinton goes in, and if we ever get around to building a proper LRT on Kingston Road.

Lawrence manages to crawl through low density suburbia throughout most of its length and is far away from most major trip generators (hospitals, schools, major malls).

Beyond what we have, what is under construction and the identified priorities that nfitz mentioned I think the only remaining corridors in the city that warrant any rapid transit of any form whatsoever probably narrow down to:

Finch east
Sheppard from Yonge to Downsview
Eglinton East-Kennedy-UTS-Malvern (maybe)
Queensway (not much existing ridership, but a lot of development potential)
Maybe rebuilding the section of the 501 from Sunnyside to Long Branch to Transit City standards/gauge.

Beyond that, everything else strikes me as being somewhat superfluous and a "nice to have", but not really necessary.

And what trip generators are between Yonge and Downsview on Sheppard?

Back