News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Not much between Keele and Dufferin, but a lot of trip generators are located between Dufferin and Bathurst: several highrises on the south side of Finch, a hospital in the south, then a school on the north side closer to Bathurst, two plazas on the east side of Bathurst. LRT is certainly warranted there.
Two plazas on Bathurst are trip generators? Are you kidding? Is thats the case then the case can be made for LRT on Wilson because of the HUmber Hospital being built on Wilson west of Keele, as well as the Forenics Building also going up, nevermind there are government offices in that area. There is also retail from Keele all the way to Bathurst, several condos going up or have gone up, and Downsview Park (if ever completed).

a route on Lawrence will never make sense unless you want to build a st. clair streetcar style service, I doubt there is any demand. the ECLRT will likely be able to handle itself well into the 2060s, so I don't see the point of this at all.

Telll me how you know for certain ECLRT will be able to handle itself well into 2060's. Did anyome ever see development north of Queen or Bloor St?

Last edited:
The Transit City plans weren't anything more than vague concepts drawn up by some politicians. The details needed to be worked out. I think that back in 2009 the TTC was working on a study to figure out how to best get the Jane LRT down to Bloor, since obviously it couldn't run on Jane south of Eglinton. One of the options was to run the LRT east on Weston road to Dundas West station.

Why not run with mixed traffic south of Eglinton? Thats how it is done on College, Dundas, Queen and King St

Why not run with mixed traffic south of Eglinton? Thats how it is done on College, Dundas, Queen and King St
I don't think TTC want the sort of short turn mayhem on the LRT lines that they have on the downtown ones.

Apart from Charlotte Street (the 510 Spadina/King loop), the last time the TTC built new revenue trackage in mixed traffic was in 1925 (the Township of York railways), though in 1928 the TTC rebuilt part of the Scarboro Radial from the side of the street to an urban, double tracked in-street configuration on Kingston Road for city car service to Birchmount. The only place the TTC is even contemplating in-street rails is on Leslie Street, for carhouse access.

Transit City was a solution looking for a problem, especially Jane Street. Apart from Eglinton-Crosstown and the original Finch West proposal, it wasn't at all thought through. The Don Mills Transit City line would have had similar problems south of the Leaside Bridge; some of the crazier proposals were to put the tracks through to Broadview or Castle Frank via the Don Valley. Steve Munro himself noted many of these concerns; he even suggested that the south end of Don Mills would have been better served by the DRL.

Last edited:
Steve Munro himself noted many of these concerns; he even suggested that the south end of Don Mills would have been better served by the DRL.

The Don Mills LRT showed a remarkable lack of competency from Miller and Giambrone. Anybody could see that Don Mills south of Eglinton would need a connection to the Downtown Relief Line. Some, including myself, would even argue that the DRL should continue further north (perhaps to Finch) to relive the Yonge Subway.

Beyond what we have, what is under construction and the identified priorities that nfitz mentioned I think the only remaining corridors in the city that warrant any rapid transit of any form whatsoever probably narrow down to:

Finch east
Sheppard from Yonge to Downsview
Eglinton East-Kennedy-UTS-Malvern (maybe)
Queensway (not much existing ridership, but a lot of development potential)
Maybe rebuilding the section of the 501 from Sunnyside to Long Branch to Transit City standards/gauge.

Beyond that, everything else strikes me as being somewhat superfluous and a "nice to have", but not really necessary.

This city has a lack of north/south rapid transit. Even with all the new transit being built, the only way to get travel north/south is via the Yonge-University-Spadina line.

We definitely need at least two more north/south corridors. I'd put an LRT on Jane/Weston, starting at Dundas West Station and running north to Black Creek Pioneer Village Station. The second line would be the DRL on Don Mills with a Finch terminal to relieve the Yonge Subway.

The Don Mills LRT showed a remarkable lack of competency from Miller and Giambrone. Anybody could see that Don Mills south of Eglinton would need a connection to the Downtown Relief Line.

Steve Munro has often said that transit planning is "more than just drawing lines on a map". And yet, the more we learn the clearer it is that that was exactly what Transit City was.

Transit City wasn't "network planning". It was just drawing 6 lines on a map at once instead of drawing them one at a time.

This city has a lack of north/south rapid transit. Even with all the new transit being built, the only way to get travel north/south is via the Yonge-University-Spadina line.

We definitely need at least two more north/south corridors. I'd put an LRT on Jane/Weston, starting at Dundas West Station and running north to Black Creek Pioneer Village Station. The second line would be the DRL on Don Mills with a Finch terminal to relieve the Yonge Subway.
Like I said, something needs to be done about Islington, Jane, Don Mills, Morningside and Kingston road. Those are areas that need it

I would run the DRL from Jane-Steeles to Don Mills-Steeles and LRT on Islington, Reactivate the Morningside LRT or extend the crosstown to UT Scarborough, and Waterfront East from downtown to Port Union

Two plazas on Bathurst are trip generators? Are you kidding? Is thats the case then the case can be made for LRT on Wilson because of the HUmber Hospital being built on Wilson west of Keele, as well as the Forenics Building also going up, nevermind there are government offices in that area. There is also retail from Keele all the way to Bathurst, several condos going up or have gone up, and Downsview Park (if ever completed).

What's your definition of kidding? Your own data show that Wilson is a good candidate for LRT. Finch West is pretty similar to Wilson in terms of density.

Besides, if the LRT is built on Finch west of the subway station at Keele, it makes sense to extend the LRT to Yonge, so that the riders coming from the west and heading to North York destinations do not have to transfer from LRT to bus.

Last edited:
Why would Bathurst to Bayview be tunelled but not Bathurst to Jane? Lawrence isi the same width from Jane (even west of Jane) to Yonge and Mt Pleasent (I don't usually venture to Bayview - two lanes travelling in both directions.

The Lawrence public ROW is much wider between Bathurst and Jane than east of Bathurst. West of Bathurst, it is easy to widen the street and get 2 LRT lanes + 4 general traffic lanes. East of Bathurst, the houses are way too close to the existing lanes, there is no room to widen.

I assume you intend this line to be continuous or at least somehow to connect with the YUS somewhere Downtown.

I assume you intend this line to be continuous or at least somehow to connect with the YUS somewhere Downtown.

No. The line would have terminals at Dundas West and Black Creek Pioneer Village Station. At Dundas West, there would be a connection to the DRL.

I hastily put these maps together, so they don't have all the new lines on them. But it's a good illustration of what I was talking about.
0z1uQwf.png

Weston Road to Dundas West section:
8PBe4AI.png

I know this may be divisive or derivative but why not think up, Els can still have a place when grade separation is needed.

Back