News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Is there still an actual long term plan to fix the crossing with grade separation?
It's not like there's a capital profile for it yet, but the mass transit plan accepted by council a year or two ago hinges partly on it.

Screenshot_20230901-235426_Drive.jpg

And
Screenshot_20230901-235600_Drive.jpg

The councilor often seems to be a bit of a show boat and a credit hog, but it is good to know things are improving.

Unfortunately, it took quite a while for the city to respond when things were becoming unbearable which I think that hurt the reputation of transit a lot, but hopefully it will eventually recover.

The councilor often seems to be a bit of a show boat and a credit hog, but it is good to know things are improving.
I don't think that's fair. Janz didn't claim that HE was responsible for the numbers moving in a positive direction. I think he just realizes that the community really needs some good news on the transit safety front, with data to back it up.

In any event, I feel the councilor may have spoken too soon. I noticed this week several LRT stations are recently again turning into big homeless hangouts again.

Noticed quite a crowd back in front of the elevators at Corona LRT several times over the last few days. Most of us can sort of avoid it (although the only door now working is next to it), but people with accessibility issues need access to the elevator.

In any event, I feel the councilor may have spoken too soon. I noticed this week several LRT stations are recently again turning into big homeless hangouts again.

Noticed quite a crowd back in front of the elevators at Corona LRT several times over the last few days. Most of us can sort of avoid it (although the only door now working is next to it), but people with accessibility issues need access to the elevator.
As the weather gets colder and nights get darker, people seek shelter in the warm public spaces. Like the changing of the leaves in autumn...

Call the number for transit security when you see this. Transit infrastructure is not suitable shelter space for folks and this makes transit very inaccessible.

I did drive around and take the train downtown today round midday and yeah, I gotta agree that there seems to be more unsavoury figures just hanging around the transit stations (including the Churchill Connector, most recently just saw some people at the Corona entrance this afternoon). However, it seems like they don’t stay as long as previous times, probably from the increased EPS, peace officer and vested security presence that seem to patrol the stations. Do I think they can do a better job? Probably, but it’s a large improvement so far.

Honestly the increased foot traffic (especially around the Valley Line) has helped immensely. It doesn’t feel as sketchy despite having sketchier people being in the area, just based on the volume of other people lately.

I did drive around and take the train downtown today round midday and yeah, I gotta agree that there seems to be more unsavoury figures just hanging around the transit stations (including the Churchill Connector, most recently just saw some people at the Corona entrance this afternoon). However, it seems like they don’t stay as long as previous times, probably from the increased EPS, peace officer and vested security presence that seem to patrol the stations. Do I think they can do a better job? Probably, but it’s a large improvement so far.

Honestly the increased foot traffic (especially around the Valley Line) has helped immensely. It doesn’t feel as sketchy despite having sketchier people being in the area, just based on the volume of other people lately.
That's one big point I keep hammering on: Edmonton doesn't have necessarily more sketchy people than most places, they're just that much more visible for lack of "regular" people, for lack of a better term.
As foot traffic increases, this becomes less noticeable and the perception of safety improves.

Back