News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Well at least that's a more intelligent comment than many of your others.

The Big Move in Toronto is Eglinton and Sheppard/Finch LRTs and neither of the last 2 are even remotely close to being RAPID transit. There is no place on the planet that has rapid transit that has to stop at red lights, wait for advanced lights, and stops every 300 meters.

In all of the Big Move, is there even a single example of LRT stops being 300 meters or less from each other?

And there are dozens (if not hundreds) of cities that use LRT, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

The 2nd part of the Big Move is completely unfunded and Queen's Park is broke.

If we only built transit when it was fully funded and when our governments weren't "broke", our transit system would likely be no larger than they were in the 1970s.

no improved rapid transit in Etob or Scar and North York gets a 5km extension.
After current construction people in Humber, Miminco, Malvern, or East Scar aren't going to get downtown any faster then they are now.
I think you need to go over the list of Big Move projects again.

And even then, TBM brings massive transit improvements to Toronto. Should we only build transit if it brings improvements to all of the six non-existant munis/boroughs?

BRT isn't world class enough and using alternative options in Toronto is a no go.
Okay?

In all of the Big Move, is there even a single example of LRT stops being 300 meters or less from each other?

And there are dozens (if not hundreds) of cities that use LRT, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.
He's just trolling, He's well aware that there are BRT systems that do stop that frequently, and stop at traffic lights.

Rob Ford promises to talk subway cash with Harper

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/29/rob-ford-promises-to-talk-subway-cash-with-harper

Ford said he’ll be talking subways with Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Thursday night during a barbecue in Sunnybrook Park with the Conservative faithful.

“I’ve talked to (Finance) Minister (Jim) Flaherty a few times,” Ford said. “I’m glad things are unraveling like they should — that’s what the taxpayers want, they want subways.

“I’m glad that the provincial government sees it that way and that the federal government is supporting it. We’re going to get it.” A spokesman for the mayor later confirmed that things aren’t “unravelling” and that “talks are ongoing and proceeding well.”

1297163308787_ORIGINAL.jpg

It really doesn't matter how much money Harper hands over. Council requires that Metrolinx fill the $400 Million funding gap for the project to go ahead. If Harper were to fill the gap, this would need to go back to a vote in Council. Should be interesting to watch.

There are people (or rather "taxpayers") who want zero tax increases, or better, zero taxes.

They don't want anything new because that would cost money. They also forget that what we have now will break down and need replacement.

In Texas, they have not increased gasoline taxes since 1991. The people there don't want to increase taxes to pay for infrastructure or improvements. So, now they are converting asphalt roads to gravel. See the article Plan to Convert Roads to Gravel Begins Despite Pushback at this link.

There are people (or rather "taxpayers") who want zero tax increases, or better, zero taxes.

They don't want anything new because that would cost money. They also forget that what we have now will break down and need replacement.

In Texas, they have not increased gasoline taxes since 1991. The people there don't want to increase taxes to pay for infrastructure or improvements. So, now they are converting asphalt roads to gravel. See the article Plan to Convert Roads to Gravel Begins Despite Pushback at this link.
I really hope that they do not complain about loose debris damaging their vehicles' undersides at high speeds when it is dry, and vehicles being completely stuck when it is rainy. Yes, money saved from gasoline tax increases will end up being spent on new tires (and they can be more expensive over time than increased gasoline taxes).

Last edited:
I really hope that they do not complain about loose debris damaging their vehicles' undersides at high speeds when it is dry, and vehicles being completely stuck when it is rainy. Yes, money saved from gasoline tax increases will end up being spent on new tires (and they can be more expensive over time than increased gasoline taxes).

Let's just hope they have some really thick paint on those cars. If I regularly traveled gravel roads in my Subaru, I'd be at the body shop every 30 days.

Curious.............why the hell should Harper commit to $400 million for BD extension when it gave Toronto $300 million 4 years ago for Sheppard and they haven't even got around to spending one dime of it yet?

They give out funds for the fun of it, Harper, like all politicians, want to see the political benefits of such largess. Why give it to Toronto so they can start construction 5 or 6 years ago and hence get no political mileage as opposed to sending to another city that would salivate at the chance and would make sure shovels are in the ground well before the next federal election?

Why send money to Toronto for no political advantage as opposed to sending it somewhere else and get tons of kudos and votes?

Back