News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

You don’t want the numbers to get out of control but I think we will find the second wave to be less than half as deadly as the first. Basic work and commerce should be maintained but we already know bars and nightclubs, banquet halls, places of worship etc. should be closed until further notice. They make only minor contributions to economic activity at too great a cost.

This will also NOT be the last wave of the pandemic; however, hopefully we can at least half the mortality each wave until covid-19 really does regress towards flu like impact. So going from for instance 10-20 times mortality to 5-10 times to 2.5-5 times to 1.25-2.5 times. That final iteration example of mine would look like 4000-5000 fatalities per year in Canada without any suppressive public health restrictions (no masks, no distancing, no suppression, voluntary vaccination). That compares to say 3500 annual flu deaths as normal in Canada.

Mortality is one thing, but many COVID patients require extensive care. We will soon see the impact of the current higher number of cases on hopitalization rates. Also, I see no reason to be complacent and to consider flu deaths as being "normal". If simple health measures such as mask-wearing during flu season can save lives, I don't see why they should not become commonplace.

You don’t want the numbers to get out of control but I think we will find the second wave to be less than half as deadly as the first. Basic work and commerce should be maintained but we already know bars and nightclubs, banquet halls, places of worship etc. should be closed until further notice. They make only minor contributions to economic activity at too great a cost.

This will also NOT be the last wave of the pandemic; however, hopefully we can at least half the mortality each wave until covid-19 really does regress towards flu like impact. So going from for instance 10-20 times mortality to 5-10 times to 2.5-5 times to 1.25-2.5 times. That final iteration example of mine would look like 4000-5000 fatalities per year in Canada without any suppressive public health restrictions (no masks, no distancing, no suppression, voluntary vaccination). That compares to say 3500 annual flu deaths as normal in Canada.

Places of worship dont need to be all closed. Close the ones that cant enforce rules.

My local temple has such strict controls more so than many businesses that would stay open.

Mortality is one thing, but many COVID patients require extensive care. We will soon see the impact of the current higher number of cases on hopitalization rates. Also, I see no reason to be complacent and to consider flu deaths as being "normal". If simple health measures such as mask-wearing during flu season can save lives, I don't see why they should not become commonplace.

I must confess, rarely though it happens, I'm inclined to disagree with you here.

Masking through flu season isn't merely intrusive and unlikely to garner broad public acceptance, its also unlikely on its own to alter mortality materially.

Just as with Covid the majority of death due to influenza occurs among the elderly and immune-compromised.

We could adopt measures tomorrow that would suppress these, at least for the residents of long-term care.

The measures would mirror what has been done or suggested by experts for Covid.

Full-time staff who work at only one facility, ideally only on one floor so not moving disease from facility or unit to another.

All private rooms (one resident/patient) per room.

Restrictions on visitors.

The reasons these are not done today is cost, cost, and the secondary consequences of separating residents from their loved ones/family, and the misery that inflicts.

Those measures, however, would surely cut influenza deaths overall by more than 25%, and more than 50% inside long-term care.

Likewise, for older residents living at home, we could take actions to reduce exposure risks, though enforcement would be a much greater challenge. But broad mask wearing would be immaterial in most cases.

It would be managing interactions with family, PSWs and delivery people, and mandatory vaccination.

Worth saying here, I'm in favour of the measures I noted above for long-term care (private rooms, and full-time, single-facility staff).

Those are costly, but I think worthwhile and with no adverse secondary affects other than cost likely.

But I don't see people accepting precautionary making on a universal basis, for 5 months out of of every year.

Nor do I see sufficient benefit in terms of reduced disease transmission among those mostly likely to be at risk.

Quebec reports 462 new cases of COVID-19, five additional deaths.

I must confess, rarely though it happens, I'm inclined to disagree with you here.

Masking through flu season isn't merely intrusive and unlikely to garner broad public acceptance, its also unlikely on its own to alter mortality materially.[...]

I entirely agree with you when it comes to improvements to long-term care. But there have been studies that show face masks can also be useful to prevent the transmission of flu viruses (but are less effective in the case of rhinoviruses), and they could reduce the burden of disease. My business partner has COPD, so I am highly conscious of the fact that working members of the community can also be vulnerable to respiratory viruses. I am just thinking that a certain proportion of people will get used to wearing a mask, and that it might be useful to continue after COVID on a voluntary basis.

We will see what happens with the flu this season (though it will not be representative of a typical season, since many people will remain at home until COVID has been dealt with).

For the record my daughter tested negative which I was like 95% certain about.

This experience raises some interesting questions and observations:

No one in my family has been sick since before march owing to social distancing. Assuming a 3-day lag between infection and symptom onset, some kind of kiddy cold took 7-days to rip through the child centre. No precaution from home screening, site screening, strict enforcement, masks, co-horting etc. made any difference.

What does this suggest? It suggests:

a) that covid-19 is not near as infectious as this common cold. If it were near as infectious we would all have already got it.
b) Covid-19 is primarily a social behavioural disease. Social distancing is by far the most significant protective measure, like by orders of magnitude. All the other stuff we worry about is fine tuning

I live near a school. most kids have no idea how to properly wear a mask and they don't social distance. Getting off the school bus, half of them had the mask off their faces or under their chins. They are just little kids. They don't understand.

1st elementary school in Ontario closes after students, staff test positive for COVID-19

Last edited:
To me the solution is ... grade 6 and higher push to online learning. As those kids can stay home by themselves mostly (apart from health reasons) and parents are not willing to, well that's their problem.

Below that put default as online learning and if parents need to work, they can send kids to a school that would have not many students.

This will allow to keep kids mostly at home, allow parents to work who cant work at home.

This is much better then people who just want to go full doomer and shut everything down till next spring.

They are just little kids. They don't understand.

Yet, kids in east Asia (Singapore, Korea, Japan, HK) seem to have no problems wearing it throughout school. Is it just the kids there are more mature there, or are parents not teaching their kids here?

Yet, kids in east Asia (Singapore, Korea, Japan, HK) seem to have no problems wearing it throughout school. Is it just the kids there are more mature there, or are parents not teaching their kids here?

It is the demographic. In Asia and Europe they are much more inclined to wear a mask and brought up that way.

I have seen plenty of low income people not wearing a mask or thinking it is their god given right not to. I live near a few low income buildings and none of the kids are wearing masks. Their parents are either not wearing them or wear them on their chin.

There are also plenty of older people who also appear on the surface to be low income or mentally ill who also refuse to wear a mask.

The education system in East Asia - for good or ill - focus on and expects discipline from students even in Kindergarten. School uniforms (and expectations around it and appearances in general) is the norm. You will have great difficulty transplanting that here quickly.

AoD

The education system in East Asia - for good or ill - focus on and expects discipline from students even in Kindergarten. School uniforms (and expectations around it and appearances in general) is the norm. You will have great difficulty transplanting that here quickly.

AoD
In individualistic cultures (especially the United States), it's much harder to enforce safety measures like wearing face masks.

In communitarian cultures (such as East Asia), almost everyone would follow safety measures.

I was being cheeky, as my point was that parents aren't teaching their kids properly here in my opinion, since kids are no more mature there than here. We don't teach our kids to run out onto the street without looking both ways - it's a safety issue. We don't teach them to talk to strangers, or play with knives. Younger kids are capable of understanding if the issue is framed properly. Do you want your 7 year old friend with diabetes or asthma to potentially die? Not wearing masks is a safety issue.

In Asia, it's already well established that this is a safety issue, so it's not hard to accept wearing it. Here, you've had mixed messages from Dr. Tam initially stating wearing masks aren't beneficial and changing the messaging to masks are useful later on (not that I'm criticizing her - she was working with the best info she had at that time). If you've never been through a pandemic, you don't know who to believe. Lower education (correlated with income typically) parents, as Richard noted, would be less inclined to wear as a result of the mixed messaging and this train of thought is passed on to their kids.

Back