News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I am from india, if you misbehaved in class as a kid i had to grab the bottom of my ears and go up and down like a squat like 50-100 times

That would teach you to wear a mask in a heart beat if mistress told you too :)

I am from india, if you misbehaved in class as a kid i had to grab the bottom of my ears and go up and down like a squat like 50-100 times

That would teach you to wear a mask in a heart beat if mistress told you too :)

Sorry.. what did you just say? You did what?

In a Washington Post story about the Japanese experience the number one reason for wearing a mask cited by Japanese is “peer pressure” not for public health reasons.

I’m making these numbers up to make a point but to emphasis my observation about how covid-19 appears to be relatively less contagious than the common cold and how important social distancing is I would give a relative weight to the following activities: washing your groceries 1, washing your hands 10, wearing a mask in social situations 25, social distancing 1000.

If we assigned that weighting to a time reference that 10 for hand washing would be like 2 minutes a day. That would mean you should spend 12 seconds on washing your food or cleaning surfaces, 5 minutes dealing with your masks and masking up, and 3 hours and 20 minutes a day focusing on your social distancing.

We sure spend a lot of energy on the small things

Last edited:
We will soon see the impact of the current higher number of cases on hopitalization rates.
That seems logical. But let’s see what happens. We may see case numbers rise but hospitalizations remain stable, especially if we protect the vulnerable.

According to the Ontario government, https://covid-19.ontario.ca/ there are 63 people hospitalized with Covid, of which 23 are in ICU, with ten of those on ventilators. 63 out of 14.2 million Ontarians isn’t bad by my book.

I live near a school. most kids have no idea how to properly wear a mask and they don't social distance. Getting off the school bus, half of them had the mask off their faces or under their chins. They are just little kids. They don't understand.

1st elementary school in Ontario closes after students, staff test positive for COVID-19

I dropped off my teens at high school and the newly minted Grade nine kids were hugging each other, no one wore a mask, just a huge crowd of teens milling about. My daughters stayed far away.

On my way home from work, I see the packs of high school kids walking down the street, mask off their face or around their chin, messing around and sharing bag of chips and other such sights.

This back to school thing isn't going to work out. You can't control what kids do after they leave the school grounds.

That seems logical. But let’s see what happens. We may see case numbers rise but hospitalizations remain stable, especially if we protect the vulnerable.

Like this?

AoD

They had never even came close to beating the infection rate down to zero - the virus is still circulating in the community and infections will rise once it have a chance - and it did. Whose fault is that now, I wonder.

AoD

They had never even came close to beating the infection rate down to zero
AIUI that was never the goal. The reason we’ve been social distancing and closed the economy was to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed. With fewer than a hundred people in ICUs with Covid province-wide, I’d say we’re on the right track. We knew the numbers were going to increase in the autumn as people moved back inside and school started back up. Let’s hope the hospitals, unlike LTR homes have used these six months to prepare for the predicted increase in case numbers.

^Yes. But reproductive number is well over 1 right now, so this will blow up on us if we don't get it back under control.

It seems very unclear how much of this is due to schools.

There was an article posted here recently indicating that despite enhanced contact tracing efforts, about half of cases can’t be linked to a particular source.

Back