News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Quebec reports 896 new cases of COVID-19, its highest daily increase in cases since May 7, as well as 2 new deaths. The province is also adding 2 deaths that occurred between Sept. 20-25 to its tally, for a total of 5,825. 216 people are in hospital, with 41 in intensive care.

I wouldn't normally use such strong language, but I find it impossible to understand the selfishness of people advocating a return to normal in the midst of a global pandemic.

Have we forgotten what happened south of the border, where governments generally resisted locking down? 200,000+ dead and millions of infections. To look at that model and say "we should be more like them"... it boggles the mind that anyone could think that way.

And it's bizarre, too, to see people whining in public about not being able to go on vacation wherever they want, while calling a global pandemic that has killed a million people "overblown". Selfishness knows no bounds.

That's my thing.. I follow proper protocols but I know NOBODY who has tested positive and I have worked in various condos over the past year.

While I am not calling this a hoax, I do feel like it is overblown at times.

Rare infections and positive results is precisely the sign of an effective protocol. It is super dangerous to let your guard down - that’s what lead to containment failures. If everyone knows someone In their close circle who is positive it meant the thing isn’t under control and is circulating widely in the community.

Just look to the south for the alternative. 200K dead is what, roughly 1 9/11 a day.

AoD

Last edited:
One would have thought with the sprawl in Peel Region, it should be less. Peel Region had a population of 1.382 million in 2016, while Toronto had a population of 2.93 million in 2017, so on a per capita basis, Peel Region is a dangerous place for contacting COVID-19.
It isn't crowded public places, it is socializing. People socialize in the suburbs just as much. Brampton has been rife with big house parties (and actually Brampton is dominating in Peel region with cases/capita).

WIth cases at 491 today, I wonder what the magic number is before we revert to Stage 1.

While I have stated that I am tired of lockdowns there is a definite need for them if we get over 500 cases daily. We cannot in good conscious keep everything wide open when cases are spiking over 500.

WIth cases at 491 today, I wonder what the magic number is before we revert to Stage 1.

While I have stated that I am tired of lockdowns there is a definite need for them if we get over 500 cases daily. We cannot in good conscious keep everything wide open when cases are spiking over 500.

Before an actual lockdown, closing places where people can be inside without a mask would be the first step - so, bars, restaurants, movie theatres, etc., however unfortunate that may be. And I would be more strict about face coverings.

I would be more strict about face coverings.

I agree but that is hard to enforce. There are plenty of homeless and mentally ill that do not have access to or wish to wear a mask.

In times of crisis we should be able to set aside sections of the human rights code for the benefit of the greater good. Right now, the biggest stumbling block to mask enforcement is human rights. You cannot force people to wear a mask because they may have a disability that is not visible which they are not required to show proof of (and people cannot legally ask for).

It would be better to lock people up for 14 days in a warehouse to ensure self-isolation if they refuse to wear a mask as opposed to the current practice of informative suggestions.

I agree but that is hard to enforce. There are plenty of homeless and mentally ill that do not have access to or wish to wear a mask.

In times of crisis we should be able to set aside sections of the human rights code for the benefit of the greater good. Right now, the biggest stumbling block to mask enforcement is human rights. You cannot force people to wear a mask because they may have a disability that is not visible which they are not required to show proof of (and people cannot legally ask for).

It would be better to lock people up for 14 days in a warehouse to ensure self-isolation if they refuse to wear a mask as opposed to the current practice of informative suggestions.
Stores do not have to let people in without a mask if they can offer an alternative such as curbside service. And if you have a medical condition that keeps you from wearing a mask safely, I question why you would want to go into an environment that requires masks during a pandemic.

And if you have a medical condition that keeps you from wearing a mask safely, I question why you would want to go into an environment that requires masks during a pandemic.

I know a few people who falsely claimed they had Asthma and could not breathe with a mask on just so they did not have to wear one. They had no medical conditions, they just refused to wear a mask.

That goes back to my earlier point wherein the Human Rights Code prevents people from asking for proof of a disability.

I know a few people who falsely claimed they had Asthma and could not breathe with a mask on just so they did not have to wear one. They had no medical conditions, they just refused to wear a mask.

That goes back to my earlier point wherein the Human Rights Code prevents people from asking for proof of a disability.

I would make masks mandatory, period, to avoid this situation as well as any claims of discrimination. Under the Human Rights Code, health and safety requirements can be taken into consideration when it comes to accommodations. Certainly such an infringement on personal liberties would also be found reasonable under the Charter in the circumstances. In any event, those who are unhappy about it can always challenge it in court.

Last edited:
This article is from June, 2020. From link.

Coronavirus spreading in Brampton's overcrowded housing a growing concern

A Brampton councillor recently raised concerns about the city’s ongoing overcrowded housing problem and how it’s affecting the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic in the city — which was recently identified as a hot spot for the virus.

Overcrowded housing has been a longstanding issue in many areas of Brampton, with several councillors reporting 15 to 20 people or more people living in one house as a common sight, while touring their constituencies.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford listed Brampton as one of the province's COVID-19 hot spots on May 25, and wards 3 and 4 Coun. Jeff Bowman voiced his concerns about the role overcrowded households might be playing in that problem a couple of days later, during a committee of council meeting.

“My contention is that the Region of Peel numbers show that roughly 20 per cent of all the infections are within the 20- to 29-year-old age group. What age group is that? That’s the age group that’s usually in schools and universities. It’s the younger demographic,” said Bowman in an interview.
“When you pair that up with our hot spots and you see one of the main hot spots in Brampton is that area right around Sheridan College, which is well-known everywhere for having hundreds and hundreds of illegal second units with 10, 12 or 14 kids living in each one, you have to wonder, is there a correlation there?” he added.

Last year, wards 9 and 10 Coun. Gurpreet Dhillon said he had come across houses with up to 25 students living in them.

“I’ve seen 25 of these kids in one home,” Dhillon said. “I’ve seen the substandard (conditions) that they live in. Some of these homeowners who run these lodging houses, they’ll build (rooms) within kitchens,” he said at the time, adding the problem was more common among international students.
According to Region of Peel health officials, the most recent clusters of COVID-19 cases in the city have been occurring mostly in households and workplaces, and a growing portion of new cases have been identified among the 20- to 29-year-old age group.

The Region of Peel’s COVID-19 webpage showed a total of 2,739 confirmed or probable positive cases in Brampton as of 12:03 p.m. on June 9, with 590 or 21.5 per cent of those being in the 20 to 29 age bracket.

Peel interim medical officer of health Dr. Lawrence Loh told the Brampton Guardian that health officials share Bowman's concerns.

“Household clusters have been a significant driver of new cases in our community. Typically in Brampton but also throughout the Region of Peel,” he said. “There are many different sorts of houses where we know, for example, it’s not just students near colleges but we also know there are many people who are socio-economically disadvantaged (and) may be living in close quarters by virtue of their ability to afford housing.”

“We also know that there are many large multi-generational households in our community, as well. I believe we’ve seen household clusters in all sorts of settings. There is a lot of different reasons why there are a lot of large households in our region and I think that is contributing to what we’re seeing,” he added.

The overcrowding of residences is one reason why transit use in Brampton has not dropped as much as in other jurisdictions. Why get an automobile if there is no place to park it overnight or get hit by the LARGE automobile insurance rates. So they stick with transit to get around. Don't know how the bicycle paths and lanes are like in Brampton.

And i thought 5 hours was a long wait.

I was walking along Dundas East heading towards Yonge Street earlier around the noon hour today, and saw that the lineup for Covid testing St. Michael's Hospital goes about 2 blocks north along the alley way just west of Victoria Street. There was no ETA but I'd reckon it would have taken at least 3-4 hours at the minimum, and the line just keeps building.

I can already imagine all the people that want to get tested whether they display symptoms or not, but just can't wait that long. Especially those who have work or other obligations. Absolutely disgraceful how Ontario had months to prepare for a second wave, and the process for testing remains as archaic as ever.

Back