News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

[...]
Note the source factsmaps.com and in turn the OECD
I don't follow the PISA scores like I used to, not least because they don't necessarily indicate all they're touted to. I must make clear, this doesn't degrade your talking points in this string one iota, in fact, it probably reinforces them, but two nations have dipped significantly from those now older figures:

Canada (especially Ontario) and Finland. Finland has a national score due a national education system. Canada's is fragmented due to provincial jurisdiction for education. I'm surprised the OECD/PISA published that as a national map.

This is where the 'Cons' could have had a more meaningful point: Alberta's scores have held well, if not increased (I'll Google for reference later) and Ontario's have slipped significantly, math being a big one.

Finland has slipped due to ostensibly having a biased evaluation to begin with. Again, I'll try and reference and link later. UK similar, but the UK's situation (from memory) is down to the shocking find that private schools are now scoring lower than 'public' (in our terminology) ones for a number of reasons.

The point is this: No matter how you cut this, Ford is strangling what life there is in today's Ontario schools. Not that he'd know the difference...school's forr ths interleckskm ayleet...

Quick Google for now:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/parents-call-for-math-education-reform-as-test-scores-slide-1.4117570

Not having great luck with my search tags at this time, it's an art and I'm getting a failing grade at the moment! Aha, but I can fudge my mark by trying at a more apt time later...which brings me to this, that I hinted at prior in how PISA's usual quantified unit for measurement is the jurisdiction responsible rather the the national average:
[...]
Now, if all countries were to take this approach, we would see London selected to be the sole representative of Britain, or Boston and its suburbs representing the U.S. This year, in fact, saw a separate score calculated for Massachusetts, which if taken as the nation’s results, would grab the top spot in reading with eight other nations, 2nd place in science with ten other nations, and 12th in math.
If we dig deeper into the sampling, we come across another potential problem with the PISA testing: that the sampling done on mainland China (Beijing, Jiangsu, Guangdong and Shanghai) and other cities was not taken from a wide variety of schools. Rather, the very best schools were chosen and the very best students were cherry-picked from those schools. Ong Kian Ming, a lawmaker in Malaysia recently raised this issue concerning Malaysia’s PISA results, claiming the education ministry attempted to rig the sample size in order to boost the scores. Ong added that the biased sample of schools in favor of high-performing schools can also be seen in Pisa 2015’s own data on Malaysia. Ong claims a concerted effort to take more samples from higher-performing fully residential schools: "Out of a total sample of 8,861 students, 2,661 or 30% were from fully residential schools. This is clearly an over sampling of students from fully residential schools since they comprise less than 3% of the 15-year-old cohort in 2015."
Indeed, the sampling process has some flexibility, with each country or education system submitting a sampling frame to a research firm, which contains all age-eligible students for each of its schools. An independent research firm then draws a scientific random sample of a minimum of 150 schools with two potential replacements for each original school.
Since each country or education system is responsible for recruiting the sampled schools, if one of the randomly chosen schools refuses to participate, for any reason, the country or educational system can choose from up to two neighboring schools. Replacement schools can represent up to 35% of the sampling frame. Once the schools are chosen, each country or education system submits student listing forms. On test day, student participation must be at least 80%.
Which begs some questions, such as, did some of the weaker students not take the test? Could some of the weaker schools have refused to participate? Only an independent audit of the results could prove conclusively whether the very best fruit was picked from the tree, but the sampling process does not preclude the potential for manipulation.
[...]
https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2017/01/04/are-the-pisa-education-results-rigged/#4d9df3171561

Does this debase @Northern Light 's point? In ways perhaps, but the real danger is the likes of Doug Ford reverse engineering (there's a phrase he can't handle) this to make it look better than what it is.

Rather like polishing a turd and putting it in a crack pipe...

Last edited:
OK, on Finland: (and this has real relevance to Ontario kids)
[...]
Headlines show a world smitten with the Finnish approach:

How Finland broke every rule — and created a top school system
What Finland Can Teach China about education
What if Finland’s great teachers taught in U.S. Schools
Happy teaching, Happy Learning: 13 Secrets to Finland’s Success
But in the 2015 PISA iteration, the results of which were released Monday, Finland continued its slide that was first evident in the 2012 results when the country’s math score dropped out of the top 10 for the first time. The drop-off in math scores from 2009 to 2012 was 2.8 percent. Science scores dropped three percent, reading 1.7 percent.
In the 2015 results, Finland’s scores dropped in all three categories: 11 points in science, 5 points in reading and 10 points in math. Among the other top-performing countries, just Vietnam showed a similar drop-off. All the other top-tier countries’ scores stayed the same or increased slightly. Finland is now ranked 12th in math, fifth in science and fourth in reading.
(All of those rankings are still well ahead of the United States, which has never been in the top 10 in any of the subject categories. In 2015, U.S. students ranked 4oth in math, 25th in science and 24th in reading.)

[On the world stage, U.S. students fall behind]
There are ongoing debates about what PISA results actually say about education systems in different countries and how seriously they should be regarded. But Finland’s high-achieving students were seen, especially by Western countries, as an example to be emulated. Now there are questions about what is causing the drop-off and how it should be addressed.
The Washington Post put some of those questions to Pasi Sahlberg, a Finnish educator and leading figure in education policy and the author of the best-selling book, “Finnish Lessons 2.0 What can the world learn from educational change in Finland.”
[When Finnish students visit an American high school, it’s mutual admiration]

Q. What do you think best explains Finland’s drop in the PISA results? Is it that more countries have simply caught up to what Finland was doing, or is there a fundamental change that has taken place in Finland as to how and what children there are learning?

A. It has been difficult to explain why some countries, including Finland, have been performing well in international school system comparisons. It is equally difficult to explain precisely why countries are slipping down in these same charts. When we look at OECD’s PISA results we must always take a broader look than simply the average test scores.
One important dimension is the equity of education, i.e. how fair is the school system for children coming from different backgrounds? Even in this broader perspective there has been a notable decline in Finland’s performance, both in terms of students’ learning outcomes and equity of the education system (as we know now these two dimensions often go hand in hand). I have suggested three main reasons for this decline that started already some 8 or so years ago.
● First, there has been a visible and alarming downward trend in Finnish schoolboys’ educational performance during the past decade. This inconvenient phenomenon is stronger in Finland than in any other OECD country. As a result, Finland is the only country where girls significantly outperform boys not only in reading but also in mathematics and science. One factor that explains this gender gap in school attainment in Finland is related to the diminished role of reading for pleasure among boys. Finland used to have the best primary school readers in the world until the early 2000s, but not anymore. PISA test items rely heavily on test-taker’s reading comprehension. Appearance of handheld technologies such as smartphones among school-aged children in this decade has probably accelerated this trend.
● Second, rapidly increased “screen time” with media is often eating the time spent with books and reading in general. According to some national statistics, most teenagers in Finland spend more than four hours a day on the Internet (not including time with TV) and that the number of heavy Internet and other media users (more than eight hours a day) is increasing just as it is doing in the U.S., Canada and beyond. According to emerging research on how the Internet affects the brain — and thereby learning — suggests three principal consequences: shallower information processing, increased distractibility, and altered self-control mechanisms. If this is true, then there is reason to believe that increasing use of digital technologies for communication, interaction and entertainment will make concentration on complex conceptual issues, like those in mathematics and science, more difficult. Interestingly, most countries are witnessing this same phenomenon of digital distraction among their youth.
● Third, Finland has been living with a very serious economic downturn since 2008 that has affected education more than other public sectors. Sustained austerity has forced most of Finland’s 300+ municipalities to cut spending, merge schools, increase class sizes, and limit access to professional development and school improvement. The most harmful consequence of these fiscal constraints is declining number of support staff, classroom assistants, and special education personnel. Finland’s strength earlier was its relatively small number of low-performing students. Now, the number of those pupils with inadequate performance in reading, mathematics and science is approaching international averages. In Finland this is probably the most significant driver of increasing inequality within education. A Finnish adage for this could go something like this: Equity in education arrives on foot but leaves on horseback. [...]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f61530f989b5

Appearance of handheld technologies such as smartphones among school-aged children in this decade has probably accelerated this trend.
Ain't that the truth...and it's universal.

I don't follow the PISA scores like I used to, not least because they don't necessarily indicate all they're touted to. I must make clear, this doesn't degrade your talking points in this string one iota, in fact, it probably reinforces them, but two nations have dipped significantly from those now older figures:

Canada (especially Ontario) and Finland. Finland has a national score due a national education system. Canada's is fragmented due to provincial jurisdiction for education. I'm surprised the OECD/PISA published that as a national map.

I'm curious as to whether this is a function of immigration. With so many ESL families coming into an area, there's little support on the parental side for language-related skills (reading, writing, etc.) and this has caused a slight decline in related skills. Education isn't just about teachers and schools, but should be taken as a wholistic thing. One thing stressed by our daughter's teacher is about us as parents maintaining and reinforcing the things she as a 1st grader is learning, especially reading/writing. Any drop related in such regard wouldn't mean the government side of the education system is failing students, but a failure to address ESL support systems for families.

That said, it might also be pointed out that the NDP has overseen this educational growth in Alberta…

Appearance of handheld technologies such as smartphones among school-aged children in this decade has probably accelerated this trend.
Ain't that the truth...and it's universal.

I think it's had an opposite effect, at least on younger school kids. Kids are intuitively learning language skills at a younger age because games and apps use visual and audio cues in combination with words. An example might be Candy Crush, where words like "sweet" are said aloud and printed on screen in reaction to positive events in the game. This encourages sight reading at an earlier age. Red/Green yes/no buttons do similar things. Kids support and strengthen their reading skills playing games (even in non-educational games); doing so in a way that works for them.

With older kids, a whole other language has developed in their brains because of smart-phones. Teens can code-switch like nobody's business and learn other languages easier. But ever-present omni-generational teenage rebellion and angst is being blamed on technology. (There was a time when pinball was "ruining youth", too). Gen X spent their teens in arcades, and now they're complaining about "dumb kids" ignoring the irony of boomers claiming that they too were getting dumbed down.

Technology is a damn powerful tool that needs to be a focus and targeted towards students. The luddite approach should be left by the wayside.

Absolute performance for Canada hasn't slipped much. Its important to remember that PISA's scores are relative. That means that as developing world nations or low performers do better, high performers automatically come down.

PISA only looks at the high school level, and there we aren't seeing a big slip in math yet, though EQAO test results do suggest that may be in the offing in math.

This is where the 'Cons' could have had a more meaningful point: Alberta's scores have held well, if not increased (I'll Google for reference later) and Ontario's have slipped significantly, math being a big one.

From the article you quoted below:

It should be noted that inquiry-based learning makes up a significant part of all provinces’ math guidance for teachers, making it unlikely that differences between provinces can be chalked up to teaching methods alone.

In respect of PISAs limitations, its been widely known for years that many/ most jurisdictions make moves to ensure their samples represent above average schools wherever possible. That is a limitation, but as this form of .....manipulation is quite common I'd always presumed that we were mostly comparing apples to apples so to speak.

PISA has other limitations too, including the omission of many subject areas, and it doesn't measure many other things we would all value in an education system. (graduation rates, inclusivity, citizenship, rates of grads going to post-secondary etc.)

However, many of those measurements are available through the OECD or other mechanisms.

^ Excellent discussion ensuing, and it might seem abstract to some for this string, but it's completely germane to it.
Education isn't just about teachers and schools, but should be taken as a wholistic thing. One thing stressed by our daughter's teacher is about us as parents maintaining and reinforcing the things she as a 1st grader is learning, especially reading/writing. Any drop related in such regard wouldn't mean the government side of the education system is failing students, but a failure to address ESL support systems for families.
I'm rushed right now, but this and following posts deserve a better answer later. IIRC, it is in fact the ESL students who've raised scores in many cases, especially those from high-achieving cultures.

As for 'modern devices' raising scholastic aptitude? Evidence has not borne that out. You can have all the hammers in the world, but if you can't hit a nailhead, it means nothing.

Before involving 'online' devices and whether they've improved scholastic pique or not, let's take a step back two gens to calculators. Have they increased scholastic ability? There's absolutely not evidence that they have, and a lot to to the contrary. I see it in myself, working in electronics and physics, and now being dependant on a calc as I no longer trust my mental acuity for even basic math.

It's a tool, and like using a skilsaw, the ability to use a manual device to do the most exact cutting can easily be lost.

Here's one of Zang's points made:
The research that has been done on the use of mobile apps like these has been very promising. For example, a recent study funded by the Department of Education, looked at the link between learning, and the PBS Kids educational gaming app, Martha Speaks Dog Party. The study found that after children had used the app every every day for two weeks, the vocabulary of Title 1 children between three and seven years old improved by as much as 31 percent. A similar study, conducted at the Abilene Christian University, centered upon the use of the Statistics 1 app. Students used it in and out of the classroom and remarked that they understood the content better, and were more motivated to do well, when using the app. The instructors agreed with this observation, and added that the students were also better prepared for classes.
http://www.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3754742

There's an opposing case to be made, and I'll research and link that later. It's no wonder the 'system' equates output to increased acuity. That's a huge mistake, and will get us into a lot of problems.

Like the mantra on 'coding'. It's absolute BS to think it will 'raise the bar' for the general mean. It will help produce drones, not thinkers. "Coding' is like working in a brick factory rather than building with them. It's like claiming you have to understand the physics at work to use a light switch.

More on this later, and I'll blend in the "required course credits done on-line" as per latest Ford pollution. For some it's apt. For most? It's a smokescreen from burning dirty oil.

Edit to Add: To put my comments in a perspective since it appears that I'm a Luddite: I coached a nephew on how to take apart and build up his computer back in the early 86 days, contrary to his mother's missives: "You'll break it"...lol.

He went on to earn an Academy Award for deep compositing work he did on Lord of the Rings. He innovated his ideas. He wrote programs and developed techniques with the tools he'd acquired (btw: He didn't even get through his post secondary course before being snapped up for his talents).

His case is unusual, exquisitely so, but his abilities would have been expressed by slide rules and other devices prior to what's available today. It must never be assumed that the tool does the work. It's the user.

And now I must grab my smart iMemyself handheld device and check for messages. Not...I use a flip-top phone. It has one superb app: I get messaged or called if something is of enough importance to interrupt my engagement with higher endeavours. Like being off on an adventure with Big Black Lab. For the rest of the digital miasma, I have my desktop.

Later...

Last edited:
PC support slips amid anger over autism changes: poll.

The poll asked respondents who they would vote for if an election were held today. Some 34.4 per cent of respondents said they would vote for the PC’s (down seven per cent compared to January), while 26.6 per cent said they would vote for the NDP (a drop of 0.4 per cent from January). The Liberals sit at 26 per cent support (up 3.4 per cent from January) while the Greens sit at nine per cent (an increase of 2.4 per cent).

https://www.cp24.com/news/pc-support-slips-amid-anger-over-autism-changes-poll-1.4352022

PC support slips amid anger over autism changes: poll.

The poll asked respondents who they would vote for if an election were held today. Some 34.4 per cent of respondents said they would vote for the PC’s (down seven per cent compared to January), while 26.6 per cent said they would vote for the NDP (a drop of 0.4 per cent from January). The Liberals sit at 26 per cent support (up 3.4 per cent from January) while the Greens sit at nine per cent (an increase of 2.4 per cent).

https://www.cp24.com/news/pc-support-slips-amid-anger-over-autism-changes-poll-1.4352022

Now the anger towards the Liberals has settled, voters remorse has kicked in.

As for 'modern devices' raising scholastic aptitude? Evidence has not borne that out. You can have all the hammers in the world, but if you can't hit a nailhead, it means nothing.

Sure, but if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. The inverse is also true. If you believe every problem is a nail, you'll only be looking for hammers.

Before involving 'online' devices and whether they've improved scholastic pique or not, let's take a step back two gens to calculators. Have they increased scholastic ability? There's absolutely not evidence that they have, and a lot to to the contrary. I see it in myself, working in electronics and physics, and now being dependant on a calc as I no longer trust my mental acuity for even basic math.

Anecdote is not evidence. There are many other factors in play besides the existence of technology. Mental acuity decreases with age past your 30s as the number of neurons you have starts to shrink. Eyesight changes, meaning it's greater work for the brain to get those numbers in the first place. Blaming it all on one thing is scapegoating.

It's a tool, and like using a skilsaw, the ability to use a manual device to do the most exact cutting can easily be lost.

But why is making a manual cut important? Does knowing how to fix a car change whether you can drive it or not? Does knowing the physics of combustion help in an EFI vehicle in which you have zero control over that? Standing on the shoulders of giants is different (and more achievable) than growing taller than a giant. Knowing how to do something generally irrelevant just becomes a launchpad for arrogance aimed at those who don't. If I can make a precision cut with a laser cutter and get my tolerances down to previously impossible levels, what does knowing how to do it by hand serve me, other than make me feel special?

Like the mantra on 'coding'. It's absolute BS to think it will 'raise the bar' for the general mean. It will help produce drones, not thinkers. "Coding' is like working in a brick factory rather than building with them. It's like claiming you have to understand the physics at work to use a light switch.

Coding requires abstract thinking, and abstract thinking is a crucial tool in any person's brain. Concrete thinking is what creates drones, not the other way around.

If however, you're referring to my mention of code-switching, it's not about programming. Code-switching is the ability to use, translate and manipulate multiple languages. It takes a decent amount of brainpower and is something millennials (and younger) are shown to be especially good at. It's a type of intelligence that many older generations don't care for and understand. But it doesn't mean it's not intelligence.

More on this later, and I'll blend in the "required course credits done on-line" as per latest Ford pollution. For some it's apt. For most? It's a smokescreen from burning dirty oil.

Making it mandatory is garbage and a simple ploy—at best, at worst a slippery slope—to opening the door to removing money from classroom spending. There are students who learn better in classrooms than online (which is why many online test prep companies like Kaplan still run some in-person classrooms). Students should be able to choose the method that best suits them, or optimally, schools should be able to use the methods that best work for the individual child.

Edit to Add: To put my comments in a perspective since it appears that I'm a Luddite: I coached a nephew on how to take apart and build up his computer back in the early 86 days, contrary to his mother's missives: "You'll break it"...lol.

I wasn't calling you a Luddite, was talking in the sense of greater public Luddism. The novel, the bicycle, the car, the umbrella, computers, the internet, electricity… all these things were touted on their introduction as things that would destroy the public consciousness and overall intelligence of humanity. They changed society, but mostly for the good. It's change that luddites fear, not technology per se.

As for our average intelligence, it's only increased generationally since we've been able to test it (see: The Flynn effect). It means, the people claiming teens brains are being destroyed by [insert bogeyman here] would likely have scored lower on a modern IQ test than those exact teens.

He went on to earn an Academy Award for deep compositing work he did on Lord of the Rings. He innovated his ideas. He wrote programs and developed techniques with the tools he'd acquired (btw: He didn't even get through his post secondary course before being snapped up for his talents).

His case is unusual, exquisitely so, but his abilities would have been expressed by slide rules and other devices prior to what's available today. It must never be assumed that the tool does the work. It's the user.

Indeed, but specific knowledge doesn't do the work either. Does disassembling a Compaq LTE make a film compositor? Have all film compositors disassembled a LTE? How deep did you go? Did you have him memorize what the colour bands on the resistors meant? I soldered lights into a G.I. Joe Vehicle (Cobra Stinger to be exact) using LEDs, a battery pack and a few resistors I snagged from my dad's workbench when I was 9. Where's my Academy Award?

General knowledge, building cognitive skills, self-restraint and (more importantly) the willingness to learn, are what drive academic success. There's a contingent who think that the key is learning everything down to its absolute reductive start and that's what makes people successful with a subject. But that's not true. I'm a bloody wicked artist, but I couldn't tell you how my brain differentiates colours, or how I see light and dark better than the average person. I also can't tell you how a pencil is made, how graphite is refined, the specific polymer names of dried linseed oil… You get the picture. But I can tell you what the Ohms and tolerance rating are of a given resistor, and that it hasn't helped me in either field in which I've worked.

And now I must grab my smart iMemyself handheld device and check for messages. Not...I use a flip-top phone. It has one superb app: I get messaged or called if something is of enough importance to interrupt my engagement with higher endeavours. Like being off on an adventure with Big Black Lab. For the rest of the digital miasma, I have my desktop.

If you like a screwdriver only, and see all other tools as "not-screwdrivers", that's fine. Myself, I'd prefer the Gerber multitool that is my iPhone. And really, it doesn't distract me unless I let it.

D2lrGOVWkAAGlPH.png:large

From link.

Thorns Embrace offered this in another thread

I am starting to believe that Doug Ford is going to get #metooed before the next election. They way he treated Randy Hillier was shameful and I believe that if they are sensing an electoral defeat they will dump him.

I don't know about #MeToo a la Patrick Brown; but there's definitely the possibility of those Kinga rumours surfacing. (And IIRC Mike Harris stepped down as Premier under a personal-life cloud, having left his wife for a mistress, etc)

Back