News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

i agree that the lighting component of RBC is substantial, but it is not "architectural," necessarily. hume is afterall, a critic of that particular subject. i suggest that lighting is more ornamental and decorative in this instance.

as far as the canada life building goes, what "makes it" is not the lighting. what "makes it" is the stunning design.

There is such a thing as "architectural lighting", you know--and in RBC's case, it's absolutely integral to the architectural concept. More so than Canada Life, in fact (where the beacon was added 20 years later).

Architectural analysis and criticism deals with more than just the tactile stuff of facade designs, you must remember.

Pretty bleak underground - we're so used to food courts and retail but all we get here are corridors with windows onto parking areas. Hope the underground of the Ritz won't be this dreary.

The lobby is both grandiose and baffling - it doesn't relate to the character of the building as a whole, and looks like a cross between '30s ocean liner style and the main machine room in Metropolis. Some strange design decisions have been made - in taking that white-walled corridor westwards from the bank of elevators in order to de-escalate to PATH, for instance, the wall looks like it was banged out of shape by a drunken giant. Quite, quite mad. The lobby art looks edible and sweet though.

There are a number of food courts in the vicinity as well as restaurants on street level (Metro center, Simcoe Place, etc), I don't think another basement filled with Tim Hortons, Bagal stop, and a Subway was needed.

There are a number of food courts in the vicinity as well as restaurants on street level (Metro center, Simcoe Place, etc), I don't think another basement filled with Tim Hortons, Bagal stop, and a Subway was needed.
Those food courts are awful. I know people who work in this tower who are pressed to find any decent lunch to eat in this area. Disappointing for the people who were transferred here from Royal Plaza, which has a pretty good food court.

There is a great view of this building, especially at night from Bremner and Lower Simcoe. Facing north on Lower Simoce at the lights, it's an amazing shot wit the new road extension underneath the tracks, and the sky bridge hovering overhead.

There is a great view of this building, especially at night from Bremner and Lower Simcoe. Facing north on Lower Simoce at the lights, it's an amazing shot wit the new road extension underneath the tracks, and the sky bridge hovering overhead.

Another great view is from the GO Bus station. The red light from the Royal York sign, with RBC's blue lantern as a backdrop looks amazing. You can probably get the CN Tower and Telus Tower in the same shot.

4156037954_4e043219d3_b.jpg

That is a unique shot. What are those lines on the top left corner on the building?

Starting tonight RBC has changed their stationary "RBC Blue" rooftop LED's to swiping red and green. I can't see below that but I presume the rest of the LED's are the same. It looks nice for a change.

Back