News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The old Coffee Time at Sherbourne & Howard will soon re-open as Eggsmart, Coffee Times new breakfast chain. The Eggsmart at Bay & Elm is always busy. I've eaten there twice and it was decent both times.

A coffee shop has opened on Peter Street between Richmond and Queen in the same building that the GAP store occupies. It's in a loading dock space that has been recently rennovated for retail purposes.

The coffee shop is called Little Nicky's, and it's fantastic. I tried it yesterday. Here's a review at BlogTO that's pretty accurate.

http://www.blogto.com/cafes/little-nickys-coffee-toronto

They seem to rely on word of mouth, so go try it out!

Just had drinks and a huge beef carpaccio at la Bettola, the new Terroni restaurant at Richmond and Victoria... Cool space, pretty empty though, I think it's their opening night. It and their Osteria Ciceri e Tria now share an entrance.

Finally got around to uploading the past 2.5 weeks of photos I've taken, starting with Sunday, 4th July 2010--the smoke from Musa:

dsc00296bb.jpg

5 July 2010: Noticed on that brutally hot day that Simply Nosh has been squashed, by some weird noodle house concept--the menu looks pathetic. B cafe was the best for this location, but the greedy landlord thought otherwise....idiot!

dsc00326r.jpg

From 10 July 2010--Recently sandblasted brick looks great on Dundas west of Ossington:

dsc00462tc.jpg

dsc00464yk.jpg

Wanna know what my current favourite coffee shop in Toronto is? Te Aro--the closest Toronto's caffeine scene feels to Seattle's or Vancouver's imho. Now available to west enders like me, on Ossington:

dsc00473jq.jpg

17 July 2010--shoes out, caffeine in on Bloor West:

dsc00664vd.jpg

Just how much caffeine can Toronto take? Good grief, yet another one--the Fountain--has just opened on Dundas West! I took some night shots last Saturday/Sunday am:

dsc00681rq.jpg

dsc00680fl.jpg

Another new bar (maybe serving food so I'll stick it here) from the folks behind Sweaty Betty's, "The Unlovable" has just opened in a basement space far out on Dundas West--near Dufferin:

dsc00684rt.jpg

I predict Dundas West will be unrecognizable within 2 years! The site of the old Dufferin Smoke Shop, for example, has something special coming....

More to come....

Last edited:
does anyone know when the Movenpick Marche is slated to open again?

I would like to know too. They are way behind schedule. Their webiste indicates their "Ontario, Toronto" location will open "mid of August".

I walked by on the weekend, and the temporary juice bar/patio was gone, and the construction hid by a fence & curtain. Sign said August, I think? But I peeked behind the curtain and whatever the date was, it seemed wildly optimistic.

The temporary Marche eatery has moved to the outdoor plaza outside the BCE galleria on Front Street..

Richtree used to run a lunch spot out there during the summer. They served alcohol. The Marche doesn't, so far.

The Gourmet Burger Company heads to the wild west...(Etobicoke).....;)

843 Kipling Avenue (roughly at Advance, just a bit south of Dundas.

No idea about the one in Brookfield Place, but the small Movenpick Marche outlet in the Bay Adelaide Centre concourse has been open for two weeks now.

I tried the Movenpick Marche at Bay Adelaide Centre and I wasn't impressed. They have quite a few tables but the design cannot accommodate a high volume of customers; only 2 cash registers, and any lineup would interfere with a couple of food stations. Also there is nowhere to put your tray down while waiting to pay, so accidents are bound to happen. I paid between 12 and 15 for a liberal interpretation of beef stroganoff and a drink.

The "flea-market" that was near the south east corner of Yonge & King (that never made sense at the bottom of a higher end condo) is finally gone! To be replaced by three fast food places. Maybe they'll use some of space in front for outdoor seating?

Back