News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

The biggest problem with that stretch of Deerfoot is that it was originally concrete. Every expansion joint across the road lifted and was horrendous to drive on. maybe 15 years ago they put approximately 12 inches of asphalt on top of the concrete. It didn’t seem to bond very well because the seams split between the lifts and pot holes seemed appear within a few years. Not sure what they can do besides a complete rebuild
When it was concrete, the expansion joint seals seemed to need replacement every year or two. Calgary's freeze-thaw cycle exact a toll

I'm curious how Memorial will work when it gets to Chestermere, will it just die at Rainbow Road?
In 2014 Chestermere approved the "Waterbridge" ASP with plans to extend Memorial to Rainbow road, with a jog north to avoid wetlands

1722211970238.png

The Yoho section isn't all that busy and traverses mostly gentle terrain. The ugly parts on the TCH are Rogers and Eagle Passes.

I'd like to see them go after some easy wins for a bit. The Kicking Horse section was really nice to drive through this summer with 2 lanes in each direction and was absolutely necessary, but it was 20 years and $900ish million dollars in the making. For the next billion dollars you could probably twin/realign through the 20km of three valley gap or you could twin two or three times that with some of those easier sections.

Yoho would be easy except for the Big Hill and the 4km section of fill leading into Field. I'm unsure if additional fill to accomidate 4 lanes would pass environmental review. The Big Hill would take considerable blasting.

I have no idea how they would widen through the snow sheds in Rogers. Maybe build new sheds that encompass the old ones and new lanes then demolish the old ones. Maybe build as much as possible for the new sheds, demolish the old ones and leave sections unprotected for a year or two while the new sheds are completed. Maybe build the new lanes elevated above the avalanche paths, shift traffic to them, demolish sheds and then build new elecated lanes as replacements,

Yoho twinning is designed and Detailed Impact Assessment is complete so it’s pretty much ready to go once funding is approved.
Not likely to happen under the current Liberal-NDP government but maybe if the conservatives win the next election. 🤞🏼

Here are a couple of websites:

Yoho twinning is designed and Detailed Impact Assessment is complete so it’s pretty much ready to go once funding is approved.
Not likely to happen under the current Liberal-NDP government but maybe if the conservatives win the next election. 🤞🏼

Fed liberals have funded quite a bit of work in the parks so far. Its more, the funding cycles have to align with some political will and construction capacity. Now that Kicking Horse Canyon is wrapping up, there is more slack in the market again in the area.

Thanks for posting the links!

While I know it would delay at least part of the project a bit, I really think this needs to get sent back to the drawing board to eliminate those three remaining intersections. The one at Field in particular seems like it should be fairly simple to engineer away.

Canada's tendency to cut corners on infrastructure projects is really shortsighted and the eventual fixes and upgrades are always more expensive than doing it right the first time..

Yoho would be easy except for the Big Hill and the 4km section of fill leading into Field. I'm unsure if additional fill to accomidate 4 lanes would pass environmental review. The Big Hill would take considerable blasting.

I have no idea how they would widen through the snow sheds in Rogers. Maybe build new sheds that encompass the old ones and new lanes then demolish the old ones. Maybe build as much as possible for the new sheds, demolish the old ones and leave sections unprotected for a year or two while the new sheds are completed. Maybe build the new lanes elevated above the avalanche paths, shift traffic to them, demolish sheds and then build new elecated lanes as replacements,
Snoqualmie pass in Washington state seems like a good example to follow for Rogers pass improvements. They went with avalanche resistant bridges instead of larger snow-sheds, similar capital cost but cheaper to maintain.

I recall reading a more detailed article a while back, but can't find the link right now, but this article summarizes it nicely.

Back