News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also would like you to give examples of Premiers who have never held a provincial seat since you seem so certain it's happened "numerous" times).

Numerous leaders have won office without being a member of their legislature - Christy Clark and Kathleen Wynn are two recent examples. They usually held a seat in the past but were out of politics at the time of the leadership convention. The OP wasn't suggesting that they'd never held office before.

Numerous leaders have won office without being a member of their legislature - Christy Clark and Kathleen Wynn are two recent examples. They usually held a seat in the past but were out of politics at the time of the leadership convention. The OP wasn't suggesting that they'd never held office before.

Kathleen Wynne most definitely had a seat when she was elected leader of her party: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Wynne

Clark is the a possible example, however she held a seat perviously. Christy Clark lost her seat in the last election, then had someone resign their seat and she ran in a by-election to get a seat back. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christy_Clark

Also, Doug has never held a seat, so using any examples of someone who previously held a seat as someone comparable to Doug's situation would be inaccurate. Doug Ford has never held a seat in the PC party, he is not a viable candidate for leadership.

Last edited:
Doug was (is still?) the top salesman @Deco so that is not entirely surprising.

That's trivial to do when you own the place. Just declare yourself to be co-owner of every sale, or be a required signature on all large contracts, and suddenly your on top.

Heck, just fire or under pay (causing them to quit) any sales person who out-performs you.

Deco has below average growth for labelling industry SMEs. For an owner, that's the business track record to look at.

Huh?

Edit: late to the party, I see.

Kathleen Wynne most definitely had a seat when she was elected leader of her party: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Wynne

Clark is the a possible example, however she held a seat perviously. Christy Clark lost her seat in the last election, then had someone resign their seat and she ran in a by-election to get a seat back. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christy_Clark

Also, Doug has never held a seat, so using any examples of someone who previously held a seat as someone comparable to Doug's situation would be inaccurate. Doug Ford has never held a seat in the PC party, he is not a viable candidate for leadership.

Closest I can think of is Bob Rae, who won the provincial NDP leadership without having been an MPP, only a federal MP.

Are we playing the technicalities game? Elizabeth May became Green Party leader without ever holding political office.

Closest I can think of is Bob Rae, who won the provincial NDP leadership without having been an MPP, only a federal MP.

On the federal level, didn't Jack Layton go straight from Toronto city council to NDP leader? LOL maybe Harper should watch his back.:p Oh wait, but it's Rob that's going to be PM...

John Turner never held a seat during his entire prime ministership

Ok - missed on Wynne - got her mixed up with Pupatello.

John Turner held multiple government positions before he took helm of the party.
In his political career, Turner held several prominent Cabinet posts, including minister of justice and minister of finance, under Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau from 1968 to 1975.

Not comparable to Doug Ford. I'm not sure Elizabeth May is a great example either since technically the Greens still aren't an "official" party and they didn't have a plethora of sitting MP's/MPP's to draw from.

On the federal level, didn't Jack Layton go straight from Toronto city council to NDP leader? LOL maybe Harper should watch his back.:p Oh wait, but it's Rob that's going to be PM...

Ah, you got me there. However, Jack Layton was not inexperienced and held prominent positions at City Hall and had a lengthy tenure in politics before that happened.

What I am saying is that Doug Ford, having never held a seat, having no experience in politics beyond one term as a city councillor, is not, will not, can not, become the leader of the OPC. Even arguing this is giving into his delusions that he is so important, and so powerful, that he could do so.

I'd like to see him run and lose. That would take away the wind he imagines he has in his sails.

Doug Ford:
"Run, run as fast as you can!You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man!"

image.jpg

Reality:
"I'm quarter gone...I'm half gone...I'm three-quarters gone...I'm all gone!"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 809
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back