8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like it, doesn't it?

For a guy "who doesn't need to get out of bed " to win Ward 2, it seems strrange he would need this kind of help. Especially when said help needs to work hard on his own late -starting campaign.

Are they worried about Andray?

They shouldn't be given the name recognition, but who knows?

Sounds like it, doesn't it?

For a guy "who doesn't need to get out of bed " to win Ward 2, it seems strrange he would need this kind of help. Especially when said help needs to work hard on his own late -starting campaign.

Are they worried about Andray?

I'm sure some people are already thinking it, so I'll just say it. Is it possible Fofam knows Thug for Merryl is a longshot, the real goal is to get any Ford in whichever seat at the best odds. Which right now seems to be Rob for Councilor in Ward 2.

Are ward 2 residents really that loyal to the Ford brand? Thug did very little for them it seems, at least Rob did the door to door camping to build up his mythology. Thug basically rode in on Rob's coat tail in 2010 IIRC. I have very little benefit of the doubt left for the Fords, but I'll at least extend some courtesy to the people of Ward 2 for now.

It's an assumption on my part. It's admittedly formed by osmosis through the media portrayal of Etobicoke as being the Ford Fiefdom. I really have no idea whether or not they still really are that loyal to the Ford brand. I try to stay out of Etobicoke and don't trust Forum polls

I'd actually love to see a detailed discussion from from both sides as to why they think Andray or Rob has a shot at winning.

Do the Fords really have that much of a stronghold on Etobicoke anymore, after all that has transpired?

Will they actually vote in someone who is in treatment for aggressive cancer?

I really do not know the answer to these questions, but I'm sure some of the smarter people on this board that will take a stab.

Last edited:
Shawn Jeffords ‏@Shawn_Jeffords 13s
“I have been debating for four years at City Hall with a lot tougher people,” Ford says. #TOpoli

When he bothered to show up...

It's an assumption on my part. It's admittedly formed by osmosis through the media portrayal of Etobicoke as being the Ford Fiefdom. I really have no idea whether or not they really are that loyal to the Ford brand. I try to stay out of Etobicoke and don't trust Forum polls

I'd actually love to see a detailed discussion from from both sides as to why they think Andray or Rob has a shot at winning.

Do the Fords really have that much of a stronghold on Etobicoke anymore, after all that has transpired?

I really do not know the answer to these questions, but I'm sure some of the smarter people on this board that will take a stab.

maybe there's another candidate in Ward 2 -- someone who really has little to no chance & even less known than Andray -- who could make this message part of their door-to-door visits. It might seem a bit in bad taste if Domise does it, but someone could sacrifice themselves for the cause.

Tell them:

1. Ford needs to rest, recuperate, deal with his addictions (for real this time) and meaningfully reconnect with his wife and kids. You're not doing him any favours re-electing him. He's too stubborn to see it, but being a councillor is NOT what is best for him. If you love him, let him go (ugh), there's always 2018... etc.

2. If he dies or resigns from being too ill to work, you will have to go out again and vote in a by-election (which your lazy asses hate, plus it costs taxpayer dollars!!!)

Of course this person would be promoting themselves and not Domise, but the simple fact of votes going away from Rob would help. Or just putting the idea in their ear to vote for someone other than Ford might get them looking at other candidates.

If Robbie croaks they will announce Mikey's candidacy in the by-election at the funeral.

Knowing this twisted family. They'll even have RoFo do some more tapes supporting Mikey or Doug to run in ward 2 prior to his passing, so he can have a message from the grave supporting their next family candidate - and of course whichever tape they need will be played at the funeral as well.

Are ward 2 residents really that loyal to the Ford brand?

Yes. Winds are changing, but there is still considerable loyalty to him.

It's an assumption on my part. It's admittedly formed by osmosis through the media portrayal of Etobicoke as being the Ford Fiefdom. I really have no idea whether or not they really are that loyal to the Ford brand. I try to stay out of Etobicoke and don't trust Forum polls

One thing worth mentioning is that there's an enormous gulf between the level of information of UT forum readers and the level of information of blue-collar workers who may or may not pick up the 24H paper on their way to to work. We know Andray's name because we exist in a forum where his name is repeatedly endlessly. This place is not sympathetic to the brothers Ford, so anything that looks like a glimmer of hope that their tenure will come to an end is dissected, repeated, analyzed, and gripped like crazy.

However, this level of analysis and engagement doesn't exist across the population in general, or else we'd see political engagement rates greater than what they currently are. If you don't read the politics section in the newspaper or head online to Twitter or whatnot, it's very reasonable that you wouldn't know the names of your council candidates beyond possibly the incumbent.

The Myth of Saint Ford persists because Ford gets the most media attention and he's the only one really crafting that message. Both Tory and Chow have been timid in their attacks on Ford relative to what is necessary to actually break through to low-information voters, of which there are a shitload, that Ford is a failure on so many levels. There are entirely too many people who think that his biggest problems are drinking and drugs, which they can easily write off as "personal issues". Ford may be a lot of terrible things, but he's extremely savvy at controlling the narrative for the low-information voter. He's extremely good at image-crafting, or else we wouldn't be battling the Myth of Saint Ford. I'm honestly surprised that we haven't heard him say "I drank and took drugs to mask the pain of my abdominal tumour. It's been bad for three months but I've had pain for much longer. That's why I did that, and I'm sorry I let everyone down". It's a perfect type of simplistic guilt-tripping sentence: "Oh, sorry, I disappointed you - guess I was too busy dealing with CANCER" that subconsciously gets to people.

Will they vote him in despite his treatment? I'm no prognosticator, but Ford is still extremely popular. A lot of people don't have first-hand experience with someone battling aggressive cancer, so they don't realize just how much of a toll it takes on you. But even then, Ford is larger-than-life. Cancer hitting him doesn't mean the same thing as cancer hitting your great-aunt who smoked for 40 years. They're just words on paper to a lot of people, words that inspire us to wish him well even though we realistically don't know what it means to deal with chemo and radiation. We may know someone who has gone through it, but our exposures are typically limited. Now, if a media shot comes out a week before the election and he's lost 50 pounds and looks sickly and weak, that might spur people, but if all we're getting is Warmington's garbage, then there's a significant chance that the severe impact of chemo and radiation (and possibly surgery) will be downplayed to an irresponsible degree.

I do not take joy in this prediction, but if Ford wins Ward 2 in October, then I am confident we'll be seeing a by-election in 2015. A win will embolden him and he will continue to poison himself.

I'm sure some people are already thinking it, so I'll just say it. Is it possible Fofam knows Thug for Merryl is a longshot, the real goal is to get any Ford in 'whichever seat at the best odds. Which right now seems to be Rob for Councilor in Ward 2.

You could be right. But that still says to me that they think or worry that Rob needs some camping help.

The shine coming off the Ford brand, and some recently discovered self -respect, is what may turn Ward 2 voters.

Then again, Doug may be just working his suburban base, rather than suffer door knocking @ Church & Wellesley.

Still, it's kind of ironic that Doug quit Ward 2 and now it's 1st camping cab off the rank. WTF?

I've long heard there's other evidence that wasn't in ito

Jimmi... Earlier today you posted that you'd been told the latest ITO is "mildly interesting." Where you referring to the ITO generally or just what the Crown was prepared to disclose today?

Are ward 2 residents really that loyal to the Ford brand? Thug did very little for them it seems, at least Rob did the door to door camping to build up his mythology. Thug basically rode in on Rob's coat tail in 2010 IIRC. I have very little benefit of the doubt left for the Fords, but I'll at least extend some courtesy to the people of Ward 2 for now.

Doug's 2010 margin of victory (71% of votes) was in the same range as a popular returning councillor - on little to no campaigning. It was clearly strong in 2010, and there isn't much concrete or anecdotal evidence to support a collapse.

Unless the Ford machine puts up another one of their family members. If Mutey doesn't win, he can run for Ward 2 again.

Indeed, if he wins the trustee position and Robbie then croaks he could run for Ward 2 and resign from the TDSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back