News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re the trustee byelection, barring a Ford, I've also been speculating on whether Neil Flagg wants to give it another kick in the can. (Now, *that'd* be one to watch)

Re the trustee byelection, barring a Ford, I've also been speculating on whether Neil Flagg wants to give it another kick in the can. (Now, *that'd* be one to watch)
What about one of the Ks running? It's a good part time gig and it gets another Ford foot in the political door. The dynasty must continue and Mikey can't be expected to do it alone.

What about one of the Ks running? It's a good part time gig and it gets another Ford foot in the political door. The dynasty must continue and Mikey can't be expected to do it alone.
I mentioned that possibility in the TDSB thread - I fully expect the clan to hold that trustee seat. There's no reason not to.

Last edited:
Is it just me? I find Mikey irritatingly odd. Besides being a quitter, he's too glib and too polite, yet willing to follow and continue the legacy of is uncle.
Maybe it's just his "non substance" life and career experience.

I find it interesting how he went out of his way to be the opposite of Rob and Doug and now trying to be just like them.

Is it just me? I find Mikey irritatingly odd. Besides being a quitter, he's too glib and too polite, yet willing to follow and continue the legacy of is uncle.
Does the Day Shift know what the Night Shift is up to?

Nature or nurture, genes or environment, Mikey's a Ford.

Does the Day Shift know what the Night Shift is up to?

Nature or nurture, genes or environment, Mikey's a Ford.

At the end of the day, what showed the true colours was the willingness to jump ship halfway through to take advantage of a political opening. For someone this inexperienced, this act is character defining.

AoD

Bloody goddamit anyway ... I cracked open the Star website and there it is, a picture of the former hizonner RoFo. Dammit, didn't need that.
Did you guys, and everyone else, know that Rob Ford is dead?!!! Dead! I know, because I heard the giant toilet-flush sound on March 22, 2016. He's dead.

Like his late lamented uncle, Mikey is no doubt a rich tapestry, albeit one that is currently more warp than weft. Right now he's being presented as either a naïve simpleton or a Trojan horse. He's probably somewhere between the two extremes, and that's what makes him dangerous.

He's a 20-something college dropout about to get handed a cushy $100k job and an instant fan base. He probably can use the cash. The family has money but not enough to keep the entire third generation in leisure (the girls can have their hobby careers, of course, but Mikey is a man). Since it won't all go up his nose he'll be self-sufficient and no doubt he can see the advantages of being close to the family trust but not dependent on it like the others.

He also has high family expectations (remember the Fords are business leaders), so winning office keeps everyone off his back. Even he's not stupid enough to play Cordelia to Diane's Lear.

He probably doesn't look at this in terms of quitting or right/wrong, since his life experience is completely lacking of any context. The trustee thing probably went well due largely to the complete lack of accountabilities and responsibilities. Nobody else in the family has the faintest clue how to be an effective councillor, so it's not like he has any understanding of what's required. To top it off he can add in some confirmation bias from the crank-fuelled Ford Nationals. Based on what he's seen, and given the very narrow mandate he's about to win (answer calls, flush after #2s), there's no reason for him to think this is all good.

If you were offered this package at 22, you'd be crazy to say no.

What we don't know is what's really going on in his head. If he really believes that answering calls and being polite is the scope of his job he'll be no worse than any of the other 20-odd mannequins scattered around the Council chambers. It's hard to see him going off on a Rob/Giorgio-style rant about anything, and if he pipes up every now and then with helpful advice then so much the better. Ward 2 will lack any sort of effective representation, but they will be getting exactly what they deserve.

Much more risky is if he decides to actually do something. Lacking any base for rational decision-making, he will either 1) do what his uncle says, 2) do what the developers/lobbyists say or, god forbid, 3) do what Mammoliti says. Mammoliti has clearly sensed a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to ride shotgun instead of sit in the back, so he's going to be pulling hard for #3.

So, at best Mikey will be like Madonna's mole - completely benign and ignored by most, but admired by the few people who are into that kind of thing. At least it makes the face more interesting. A middle result is that he tries to do good using the Ford moral compass and gums up the machinery of government. At worst he is smart enough to do something with the power and clever enough to keep his trap shut - and that's where things could turn very bad.

At worst he is smart enough to do something with the power and clever enough to keep his trap shut - and that's where things could turn very bad.

Always assume the worst case scenarios and plan accordingly. You don't survive growing up in his family and remaining unsoiled by vices by being stupid.

AoD

Tell me he didn't just say that...
Again, lots of serious things going on and they miss the mark. Being a spectacle and solving serious problems, especially with other people, are not the same things; however, superficial is a word that comes to mind.
160506-0002.png

Attachments

• 160506-0002.png
    160506-0002.png
    375.1 KB · Views: 735
Criticising "the gravy train" was never terribly unique to Rob. People have been doing it in various forms since the Great Depression. The reason it worked so well is exactly because it is so overused, like most of the clichés in the Ford Brothers' lexicon.

Furthermore, I'd bet Trump doesn't even member who Rob Ford was . . . he wasn't historic (not that the Donald is a great student of history), he was a current event, and just another rube Trump had to stroke before moving on to the next project.

Screen shot 2016-05-06 at 11.55.56 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-05-06 at 11.55.56 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-05-06 at 11.55.56 AM.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 533
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back