News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
The media is known as "the fourth estate" - this derives from the three Estates-General in France in pre-Revolutionary times (clergy, nobility, commoners) or by the "three estates of the realm" (executive, legislative, judicial). The press was coined the fourth state by Edmund Burke.

"The Fifth Estate" is the name of a CBC investigative news show. It plays upon the term "fourth estate" to distinguish investigative journalism from plain old reporting.

But maybe annoyed that The Fifth Estate, the CBC show, hasn't been on the Fords too? Where's Linden MacIntyre?

Actually I was thinking of fifth "column", I have to remember to edit properly.

Well why wouldn't he want to go on record? He is innocent, right?

My guess is likely because the story is true but there's a chance that the video was taken before he was mayor or that he was smoking something other than crack cocaine. So it's very likely the result of something embarrassing and politically harmful but possibly not of the magnitude alleged.

Clearly at this stage he's just digging himself a deeper hole.

Last edited:
My guess is likely because the story is true but there's a chance that the video was taken before he was mayor or that he was smoking something other than crack cocaine. So it's something very likely the result of something embarrassing and politically harmful but possibly not of the magnitude alleged.

CN Tower, you're a funny guy. I hope you realize that.

So - was that the mayor's attempt to prove that it's "business as usual"? Or was it the Ford brothers messing with the media, cackling in the back rooms about the questions they were trying to muster on the spot? Or trying to get them to focus on something else, knowing that all the channels will now be reporting on the bridge closure rather than his office? Maybe a bit of everything...

Sure ended it abruptly, though, when questions were asked about the Mayor...

Rob Ford media scrum at 5pm. More "business as usual stuff..."

My guess is likely because the story is true but there's a chance that the video was taken before he was mayor or that he was smoking something other than crack cocaine. So it's very likely the result of something embarrassing and politically harmful but possibly not of the magnitude alleged.

Clearly at this stage he's just digging himself a deeper hole.

IMO it's not the crack that'll damage his reputation, it's the comments he supposedly made.

Well, he's appearing in court today... so my thinking is, no doubt doolittle and donovan are there (hence the radio silence, on Doolittle's part) waiting to see if it is him
Unless it is disclosed that the police have the cellphone/video, I would not be waiting for Doolittle and Donovan to disclose that they recognize him. If the police haven't got the cellphone, and Doolittle and Donovan state that they recognize him, they give up their leverage to get the video released.

The press conference hasn't happened yet. The live feed is in that room with some security guard standing by the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back