News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Retirement it is! I am getting worried with how many CPC signs are near where I live. That bigot needs to go...
I will say that I've seen more CPC signs in the 416 this election than in previous. They've definitely ramped-up their sign game. However, that doesn't necessarily mean much come election day.

I will say that I've seen more CPC signs in the 416 this election than in previous. They've definitely ramped-up their sign game. However, that doesn't necessarily mean much come election day.

They have the most money afterall - but the ABC is really going strong.

AoD

Election signs don't mean anything. I remember during the provincial election, I saw more Conservative signs than Liberal signs but yet the Liberals won handily.

Olivia basically didn't have to campaign in 2011. She won in a landslide. This time she has actual competition

Election signs don't mean anything. I remember during the provincial election, I saw more Conservative signs than Liberal signs but yet the Liberals won handily.

I remember when Andray Domise and other candidates had lots of signs up in Ward 2 and the ex-mayor handily won.

Why he is running for a party that is openly pro-choice and pro-SSM?
Likely he, like most people, is more than just a single issue person. I am, by no means, a supporter of the NDP but I kinda think that both he and his party are handling this correctly. He aligns with the NDP on more issues than he disagrees with them....on this issue he holds a different opinion than the party and its leaders.....but they are not hiding his personal opinions/beliefs from the voters....if this is a (or the) big issue to voters in the riding and most disagree with him he will lose.....but it is one issue and one man....if elected he is not going to change the laws of the land and somehow magically ban SSM or make abortions harder to get or less safe.

I contrast that to the Liberals who just flat out banned anyone who disagreed with the party on the abortion issue from seeking office as a Liberal.

I happen to be a supporter of choice and marriage equality.......but in most other areas, particularly fiscal matters, my thinking is closely aligned with the Conservatives....and if I was entering politics then that is the party I would seek to join.

Life might be easier if there was only one issue to determine things....but it is just not the case.

A shame the NDP didn't can him. An openly pro-life Liberal candidate, Filomena Tassi, is running in Hamilton. Heck, sitting Toronto Liberal MP John McKay is a well known opponent of gay marriage and abortion. During the Chretien years McKay along with other Scarborough MPs Tom Wappel, John Cannis, Derek Lee and Jimmy K made up the Liberal's do-nothing social conservative backbenches. Something about Scarborough.

This (the bold bit) surprises me....didn't they say that only people who shared the party's/leader's views on this could seek nominations.

It isn't about shared views; it's about not allowing one's personal views to be an alibi for "going rogue". (The NDP already had that issue a decade or so ago with MP Bev Desjarlais being deselected and then running as an independent--allowing for a one-term Liberal before Nicki Ashton claimed Churchill for good)

if elected he is not going to change the laws of the land and somehow magically ban SSM or make abortions harder to get or less safe.

Yes, I think that most candidates know that even with Harper in power for nine years, gay marriage wasn't suddenly banned, even with a majority. There are plenty of people here who are socially conservative and know very well that no one will make changes.

I was in Etobicoke today and saw lots of normal signs. What I also saw was signs for some independent candidate who doesn't like HST. This is the only place I have seen them.

Sabrina Zuniga, our Conservative candidate came knocking this evening. She seemed like a perfectly nice person so I just politely told her I wouldn't be voting for her. Part of me feels bad for not challenging her party's record and policies, but I'm never sure if it's actually worth it.

Olivia Chow came round and started spouting her out dated nonsense, I am sure she is a lovely person but there is no way I would ever vote for her over Adam Vaughan. Her statement about a young woman saying she had to go to America for mental health support (meaning care?) cracked me up, can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. Chow will say anything to justify her agenda.

Olivia Chow came round and started spouting her out dated nonsense, I am sure she is a lovely person but there is no way I would ever vote for her over Adam Vaughan. Her statement about a young woman saying she had to go to America for mental health support (meaning care?) cracked me up, can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. Chow will say anything to justify her agenda.
I cannot take Chow seriously after the mayoral election. Outside of her areas of expertise, homelessness and community housing, she came across as clueless in so many other areas, especially transit and infrastructure.

I was undecided between Vaughan and Chow the past few months, but now I am starting to favor Vaughan. The other downtown Toronto ridings are still tough decisions though.

Back