Whoa! That's a LOT of spandrel. Are the balcony railings blue, or is that just protective wrap on steel railings? If not, coloured railings may have broken up all that white and greyness. There is not enough brick here by any means. Also, are some of the balcony panels clear and some opaque? Not sure what's going on here...

Wow. What an embarrassment.

Anyone remember this? Sigh...

DanielsHPBloorCloser750.jpg

Attachments

• DanielsHPBloorCloser750.jpg
    DanielsHPBloorCloser750.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 1,176
That design would have turned out pretty similar. (Developer's fault). Renderings lie. The design was changed to what we got but still uses many of the same design features and finishes as that earlier iteration ^ ^

If the building was a women, I'd just go home and watch Sportsnet instead.

Very sad. Just saw a live update. A construction worker was being interviewed by reporters. He was in a calm but sombre state, and knew the guy that died. He called the site "very safe".

It appears that it's a moveable stage that can be lowered or raised to where it's needed for bricklaying that partially collapsed and which caused two workers to fall, one to his death. I do not know for certain if guys on these stages are required to have restraint straps attached to them, but I would be surprised if they were not. It's probably a couple of hours until we hear a statement.

The second worker has died in the hospital.

So tragic. Construction worker is one of the most dangerous and under appreciated jobs.

From the photo above it does look that there are at least four skids of brick on there plus the mortar boxes, etc....does seem to me that is far to much weight for a single leg supported stage! I worked on these before but never had that much weight on top and definitely not loaded in such a manor.

According to a newspaper article the scaffolding broke in two. How is that possible?

Was that a theory or do they know for sure? It's an ongoing Ministry of Labour investigation. An interview I heard last night said they were examining a couple of possibilities

I've probably met these guys ... so sad. RIP. (I often take the dog on a walk around the block as they're arriving on the job site.) What's interesting is other brick layers continued their work well into the afternoon after the tragic event, which is puzzling--you'd think the MoL would shut the site down asap? Either way I kept my distance--not a fan of media circuses. Today it was interesting watching the curious stop to look, and possibly a bunch of construction workers stopping to stare in silence. Some photos:
tMHv6km.jpg

8qgBDAx.jpg

G9wMiJe.jpg

fnEyuTa.jpg

GPNfSnV.jpg

RJpkqIx.jpg

Back