I'm glad more residents are moving into the downtown core, this will only help liven up the core when most of workers go home and on weekends. Also with more resients come with more services such as more retail which will also help bring people to the core after business hours!

This really is great news - very encouraging. The more people living in the real core of the city, the better!

This is one of the best projects porposed in a long time. If I had the money...

I was thinking the same thing, a great building for a conversion. This would be such a cool place to have a pad in. I'm green with envy.

After endless NEW condo projects, an old-building redevelopment into condos strikes me as a very sexy concept for Toronto. ;)

Ceiling heights change with fashion - "lofts" for the Wallpaper crowd, few of whom are artists requiring big open spaces to set up large canvases or create huge sculptures in, being but one example. Victorian houses often had higher ceilings than Modernist homes.

All for preservation if the building deserves it. This building should stay around awhile. Take a look at the mini-history about the Concourse(1), and at the bottom of it you can link to a now dated "Demolition" article (2) with a brief discussion of a Concourse look-alike - the latter all very disgusting.

Not a "skyline deco," so says the mini-history article - but a deco of merit.

(1) Direct link to Mini-History [with link to (2)] http://www.omnitecturalforum.com/conc/conchistory.html
(2) Direct link to dated Demolition section only http://www.omnitecturalforum.com/conc/concdemolition.html

valantino posted this at SSC:

-48 storeys of mixed-use goodness

-23 office floors
-25 residential floors
-400000 square feet in total (this doesn't make sense though)
-400 units

It's probably quite a bit shorter than the Concourse Building proposal.

A rough height calculation: 23x4m (office) + 25x3m (residential) + 15m (roof, podium) = 182m (597 ft), very close to the previous listed height of 595 ft.

That 400,000 SF has to be for the office component only -- a building that size would be close to 1,000,000 SF.

Apparently there is a city document with the new information, but I don't have the link.

Bill

Back