News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

hlocklear.jpg

Note that they're wearing green and purple - the colours of the two Malvern lines.

Fine then why don't you build your own damn subway systems completely independent of our's since you feel so justified in demanding running miles of underused subways to a dense pocket half a world away while our own dense zones get shit >: . Yeah I can see it now, full Hurontario and Hwy 7 Lines to Caledon and Uxbridge. NYC and Chicago have great systems because they know when to stop the subways and let commuter trains and buses take over the rest. Subways can't run outwards forever, what more could you possibly want that a dozen regional terminals meeting with hard subways at or near their borders and even minor juts inwards(Pearson) can't accomplish?

Don't turn this around on anyone else. You're the only one so far who has suggested extending the subway into the wilderness.

To throw us off the trail of course, lol!

Oh, socialwoe is me! Curses! I've been foiled! My handle is merely a ruse to disguise my membership in a massive right-wing Wood-a-bridge conspiracy conspiring to keep subways out of Malvern. I better let Sambora know that the gig is up...I just *knew* hanging around with Amanda Woodward would get me into scheming trouble!

I just find it odd he puts all this stock in yet to proven successes of new and currently non-existant developments and neighbourhoods yet he refuses to give NE and SE Scarborough and north-central Etobicoke a chance. How can he be so certain the population of some areas will never increase and even if they don't are the people living/working/studying there now to forever rely on unreliable bus and GO service?

Dude, either get over my quasi-support of the Vaughan line or get it off your map. It's that simple. I already proposed a Sheppard West extension along Finch, an Eglinton line, and a line somewhere around Weston...what part of "north-central Etobicoke" does that fail to serve? Under my proposals, north-central Etobicoke would see a variety and abundance of subway options fit for a Parisian. I love how you say the Eglinton line may not get built, therefore the Sheppard line must run along Sheppard to connect North York with Pearson - did you notice that your Sheppard line doesn't go to the airport? Remember, that map you posted?

How are nodes like Jane & Finch, Don Mills & Finch (which is not in Scarborough), and McCowan & Finch unproven and non-existent? The Rouge Park will be a park forever. And all those points I picked on Finch were just some of the city-wide examples of massive centres of population and generated trips that you cavalierly pass over. They could all be very busy stations on north/south routes with...no, strike that -- in your world people only travel east and west.

There is so much rubric in that statement. YUS already serves the CBD extremely well, a King-Bay station would be so redundant

Get your mom or dad to reread the last few pages for you and you'll learn that the proposed DRL runs under Front. Next, a Queen line through the CBD is desperately needed and would generate 100,000 riders a day, but a station at King & Bay is redundant because the YUS line already serves the CBD well. Hmm...I thought I was supposed to be the contradictory one? Then, get your parent or guardian to come over to the tv so the WNED talking heads can hawk them for donations to fund all that Shining Time Station you haven't been watching (otherwise you'd throw GO a bone). That is, unless your parents don't like you...antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

If the SRT went that far, Malvern routes would be cut back from STC shaving 20 mins off Malvernites' commute

That's genuine Keg-sized AAA bullshit right there, and the superfluous 'gateway' comment is the fully loaded baked potato. An extension to Markham & Sheppard would save most Malverners about 5 minutes. Of course, lots of the people who take the RT to STC travel north along McCowan or east along Ellesmere, but you don't seem to care about them because Malvern is 'isolated' and 'underprivileged' and, of course, 'dense.'

more people would use the Ellesmere, Midland and McCowan stops if they were more easily accessible- you wouldn't believe the number of people that prefer the longer route to STC (43B, 131E, 21) over SRT.

I'll let someone else rip your Eglinton skyway to shreds, but I can't pass up this tasty morsel.

I certainly am more qualified than you to talk about transit in Scarborough because that quote proves you haven't the foggiest idea of what you're preaching about. I'm the one that told you why Midland and Ellesmere stations weren't busy, on page 4. Later you said they were indispensible, however, you failed to notice that a Sheppard extension would render a Midland & Ellesmere stop entirely unnecessitious. It would intercept the 57's riders just to the north and the 95's riders can be intercepted at any point east of there. There's heavy industry there now and the cardboard recycling plant isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The 131E is sometimes faster than the RT and is used to capture some of the overflow and essentially remove a transfer from Malvern. The 43B is used by like twelve people a day and is basically irrelevent. It is not used by people to travel from Kennedy to STC. The bulk of the 21's ridership is north of STC and has nothing at all to do with Ellesmere station. If the RT was closer to Brimley, yes, ridership on the 21A would decline, but then you'd reduce accessibility from Kennedy and the 43's ridership would go up. Very few people use the 21A to go from STC to Kennedy - it takes longer but it does remove a transfer. Hold on...I thought you were all gung-ho for the elimination of transfers, no matter what the circumstances or how silly the routes became?

It seems I was onto something all along and I got mocked for nothing, but then all the visionaries suffer tribulation before others see the light I suppose, even Jesus.

All for nothing? A contrario, eventus stultorum magister, which makes these tribulations necessitious. If your dual Zoo subway dream ever comes true, you surely will be the king of kings. I've got my palm fronds lying next to me in my CryoFrigidaire®...

So this is about seniority now? I might not have been here long but that doesn't mean my points aren't valid. People seem too relaxed and content with what we got, I'm just trying to foster debate and motivate others to put the city first. I'm passionate for transit and if that comes across as unreasonable so be it, I archived all twenty pages of this board before I began posting so don't tell me I haven't done my homework.

No, it isn't about seniority; it's about understanding why opposition to your suggestions here is so uniformly stiff and then reevaluating things in light of the counter-arguments and new information presented instead of stubbornly holding on to them. You'll find that transit knowledge here runs quite deep and while you don't have to agree with everything, it's important to be open to the idea that you may be wrong once in a while.

What's the matter with Toronto having a Zoo station? Looks kinda exciting to me...
df11212005j.jpg

So long as there was the ridership to justify it.

One thing for sure about his map is that it's complete and utter bullshit.

Go to page 5.

Seriously, this discussion deserves a blog/website of its own.

I must say, I have been enjoying this.

I've gotta come up with my own subway fantasy map using GIS technology to do population density and employment density. Maybe this week if work's quiet. :)

Don't turn this around on anyone else. You're the only one so far who has suggested extending the subway into the wilderness.

Define wilderness! What the heck was Mississagua thirty, fourty years ago? What is most of York Region west of Duferin or east of Leslie today? If the dense nodes along Morningside, Kingston Rd, Lakeshore and Dixon-Rexdale are wilderness then VCC is the Sahara Desert, no scratch that, Death Valley!

Dude, either get over my quasi-support of the Vaughan line or get it off your map. It's that simple.

Either quit bringing up a map I posted like 150 posts ago in every post as an attempt to ridicule, contradict and discredit me when my plans have obviously evolved beyond your level of thought stagnation or get the hell off my case, dude! It's that simple.

did you notice that your Sheppard line doesn't go to the airport?

Did you notice nothing's cast in stone and can change whenever? Originally I had both Sheppard and Eglinton lines running to Pearson.Why do you think I had both lines meet at Martin Grove/Dixon?! God forbid I have fluidity and recognize Hwy 27 north too, if more people will ride Eglinton in rather than Sheppard, making the reasonable 000s of commuters ride an escalator down 10 secs must seem like the biggest inconvenience in the world to you, but then again its not like you agreed Eglinton and Sheppard were close enough for Thorncliffe Park or the Finchers either.

They could all be very busy stations on north/south routes with...no, strike that -- in your world people only travel east and west.

Yeah that's why I included a Brown's Line-Hwy 27 Corridor line, converted SRT to BD and though not on the map I posted have included a matrix of BRT and streetcar routes along Islington, Jane, Keele, Dufferin, Coxwell-Don Mills, Victoria Park and Markham-McCowan. What did I tell you 'bout shackling all my theories to that map?

I thought I was supposed to be the contradictory one?

Stultus est sicut stultus facit! I guess discoursing with you has finally rubbed off. Who'd a thunk?

antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Usually I ignore slander but, oh well, this is long overdue. Since you've reduced me to your level, ...

Si me rogas, caput tuum in ano est. Immanissimum ac foedissimum, semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat. Cepe indicum, commodum habitus es Matris futuor!

An extension to Markham & Sheppard would save most Malverners about 5 minutes. Of course, lots of the people who take the RT to STC travel north along McCowan or east along Ellesmere, but you don't seem to care about them because Malvern is 'isolated' and 'underprivileged' and, of course, 'dense.'

Just to clarify... Markham North @Ellesmere, McCowan/ Shorting/ Sheppard East @Sheppard with justifiable BRT north. Main-stay Malvern and NE Scarborough still getting the shaft because despite the draws of the Zoo, potential Durham LRT or a potential alternative GTA airport; at least low density East Mississauga is along the way to Square One so who cares if even less people reside there than here. And 5 mins? If by that you mean minus the 15 mins a train over bus ride would save residents in commute duration then I think we may finally agree on something.

I'll let someone else rip your Eglinton skyway to shreds, but I can't pass up this tasty morsel.

Oh no, Scarberian, since you've single-handedly, inadvertantly destroyed whatever respect and credibility the other posters had for my suggestions you may as well finish your own damn bloody handy work and shred away. What the hell's wrong if a monorail-type skytrain sans Vancouver or the SRT running along Eglinton? Remember those billions of dollars you said an Eglinton subway would cost? Above ground unearths no ground; saving $; saving commute times; reducing traffic congestion; contrary to Unimaginative's assumption, truly make Eglinton pedestrain friendly; eliminate smog pollution along mid-Toronto's heaviestly used corridor; scale back bus routes; attract new development; create viable east-west options for north GTAers who despise having to head all the way down to Bloor to get around; etc. etc.

I'm the one that told you why Midland and Ellesmere stations weren't busy, on page 4.

You've told me nothing I didn't already know, anyone with sight clearly realizes these along with Bessarion are the least used stops. How can two stations within the same geographical low-density, primarily industrial area be dense especially when the nearby highly commercial-residential Kennedy-Ellesmere community doesn't even have a direct bus link to it?

Hold on...I thought you were all gung-ho for the elimination of transfers, no matter what the circumstances or how silly the routes became?

I am. Too bad you've all lost faith in my suggestions, if you hadn't you might have known I'd advocate the relocation of the SRT terminal to the mezzanine level of Kennedy Stn to make interchange seamless. What are geriatrics, expecting mothers and ones with strollers, travellers with heavy luggage, people with physical disabilities and medical ailments to do when the elevators' sporadically run out-of-service? The current interchange stinks, it adds like 5-mins to your commute between getting up three flights of stairs and waiting for SRT. But I guess to you that's shits and giggles.

All for nothing? A contrario, eventus stultorum magister, which makes these tribulations necessitious.

Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant.

What's the matter with Toronto having a Zoo station? Looks kinda exciting to me...

This is what the Zoo entrance would look like if people weren't so closed off to believing it'd be a success. Maybe it's time the Zoo return downtown so we can rebuild the Berlin Wall right here in Toronto and forget people, albeit few, live in East Scarborough altogether!

So long as there was the ridership to justify it. One thing for sure about his map is that it's complete and utter bullshit.

Since you're so bold and insidous to call my laborious efforts to illustrate what a Utopian system would look like for several weeks, with meticulous care, just for someone like you to call it bullshit, I'd like to see you grow a pair and try posting a map. C'mon I challenge all of you who mock me! I'm sick and tired of defending myself when all I've tried to do was prioritze the core over the suburbs first and create a real transferless cross-town commuter line. Thanks for turning me off and against helping those who actually want and believe in public transit expansion, it's been a blast!

So if the immediate population around a station isn't dense we're not to serve it? Are all the dense nodes east of SRT to be backwatered forever because of distance? And I don't dislike the VCC extension, I dislike it's being built before more important expansions are accompilished (BD to Sherway, Hwy 27/Pearson RT or subway, Yonge to Steeles, SRT reno and extension, Don Mills BRT, BD to Guildwood, Queen-Eglinton transit upgrade) and that it's not run above ground to save $.

Clearly there are many busy stations which don't have dense immediate neighbourhoods. What they do have is busy feeder bus routes. That's why Victoria Park, Kipling, Downsview, and Finch are busy. Malvern doesn't have any feeder bus routes. Beyond Malvern is the park. There are virtually no roads to either the north or the east.

I agree with all your complaints about the VCC extension. I think they're building it in the most expensive possible way. Why on earth woulud they need to use TBMs to tunnel below vacant, government-owned land? I don't really think that some of those alrternatives you suggested are better, though.

And Finch for the NW? Tell me what's there beyond Jane-Finch and a tiny cluster of chain malls at Weston Rd. With the York U extension, express buses can soon start operating out of Finch West Stn less than 5 mins away. It's that simple!

Agreed. That's why a subway west of York U will not be needed for a very, very long time. That being said, if one were built, Finch makes much more sense as a route. It's the main transportation corridor in that neighbourhood, and there's a pretty healthy number of apartment clusters along there to boot. What is there along Sheppard that's so vital to serve?

Wow just when I thought I was being gang-raped you post this. Thank you so very much. This prompted to go fact-checking and I stumbled across this report I didn't even know about:www.gettorontomoving.ca/Public Transit.pdf

It clearly states rapid transit is planned to service NE Scarborough all the way to the Zoo. It also makes mention of adding Queen and Eglinton subways into the mix with no mention of deep suburban penetration or even the DRL. It seems I was onto something all along and I got mocked for nothing, but then all the visionaries suffer tribulation before others see the light I suppose, even Jesus.

Oh. My. You compare yourself to Jesus. Now I think I get it.

First of all, that website you linked to isn't written by some great authority on Toronto transit. He's just some guy. In fact, he's some guy who supports running a new expressway on the lake. It doesn't state that rapid transit is "planned" all the way to the Zoo. It just says that you're not the only one to have some wacky ideas.

If by that you recognize Morningside IS a dense corridor deserving of a subway link then I commend you. A line to UTSC-Highland Creek would do so much for the most overlooked section of the GTA, you couldn't imagine how beneficial it'd be in the long term.

While I'm the first to support a "Mike's House Express," I really can't agree that Morningside is a dense corridor. Maybe you go to UTSC and that's why you think it's so vital, but it isn't the most transit friendly neighbourhood. That being said, a long-range fantasy including an extension of the subway from Ellesmere east to UTSC or an Eglinton line running north isn't unreasonable.
Does anyone get the importance of cross-city east-west connectivity? It's alot worse along Finch West and worse yet there isn't even the occasional single-family residences you describe til you hit Islington. Where's the ridership going to come from? For all the beratement I've endured for not putting lines where they'd serve the most people, you all seem pretty content serving next to nothing when the low-income residents of Sheppard West would account for at least 10,000 trips a day, not much but more than the vacant lots at Milvan and Signet.

I just don't get it...if you've ever been to that part of the city, you'd know that Finch is lined with a pretty decent number of apartment buildings while Sheppard is a discontinuous street filled with park land and a giant golf course. That's why Finch West is one of the busiest bus routes in the city and Sheppard West can barely support 20 minute service in rush hour. I just can't understand why someone who's willing to take a Queen line down to Queens Quay, then up to Dundas, and then back down again to Queen wouldn't be willing to shift up to Finch, which is a much busier corridor than Sheppard west of Yonge.

You truly live up to your name don't you? Eglinton's too narrow in the centre to support a guideway and at any rate since when was Eglinton ped-friendly. If the TTC could work out a deal with owners of the buldings adjcent to Eglinton, that the 2-storeys not expand upward and the line could jut through some of the buildings, it's likely an elevated subway through Yonge-Eglinton is possible. East of Moore Place (Mount Pleasant) the line runs behind the apts and along the parklands near Roehampton til Bayview, where the line runs along the roof of Sunnybrook Plaza before dipping underground through Leaside at Bessaborough. Apart from there and the Bathurst-Keele section, the line could largely be elevated.

Yeah, I dreamed about running subways along the roof of buildings too. Unfortunately, buildings along these streets are far from uniform in height, and of course the much bigger problem is that you'd have to jam massive wide concrete supports through the buildings to hold up the trains. You can't just run them on an existing roof. If you've ever seen Eglinton between at least Mount Pleasant and Keele, you'd know that it's a very pedestrian friendly and bustling shopping strip.

You think Queen-Eglinton would be more of a drain on the system than the two fare hikes within a year the Sheppard Line cost? Yes I DO gurantee cause unlike Sheppard, Queen serves everywhere from Port Credit to Cliffside, including the colossally dense CBD and Entertainment district (tell me there alone ain't 100,000 ppd easy) and Eglinton serving everyone from Hamilton to Oshawa (think about it, the clue's on my map) including several dense nodes all along its length.

I completely agree. A pair of 25 km lines running from one end of the city to another would be more useful than a 6 km stub. The problem is that 50 km of subway costs a lot more than 6 km. I don't think you'll find a single person on this board who would oppose a line along Eglinton and a new east-west route downtown (without wild jogs).

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The DRL study examined a Queen line closely. Not only does it not serve the Financial District very well, but it also encourages undesirable development in the stable residential neighbourhoods along Queen east and west of downtown. The rail corridor is far from impenetrable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is so much rubric in that statement. YUS already serves the CBD extremely well, a King-Bay station would be so redundant given the proximity of five stations within walking distance plus an additional Bay-Queen-Richmond stop for City Hall/Eaton's. Furthermore if a Yonge Express line on adjacent Bay is ever built what's to stop it from serving here. In light of opposition to QQ on the Queen line, I propose the express line serve Queens Quay, King, Dundas, Bloor, Davisville (3rd track's already available), Sheppard then onwards into YR making current the YUS a local line and hence allowing Glencairn-Yonge (Blythwood), Glen Echo, Lord Seaton and Drewry-Cummer to join the subway family.

Rubric? I'm not sure you understood anything I said, since I have no idea where you're getting this express idea. The idea of subways is to get people from where they are to where they want to go. That's why the CBD would have more subway stations than, say, Rouge Park.

As for development: the Drake, Swansea and Woodbine Mews for starters are just a few of the places being developed irregardless of no subway along Queen. Add the Mimico waterfront and that argument of yours holds less water. I'm sure these stable residents are mighty peeved they can't take the subway home despite living right in the downtown, but I bet it doesn't affect you that Dufferin/Ossington is 30 mins away from YUS via sluggish streetcars. And those developments in West Donlands and East Bayfront are just as accessible from Queen than anywhere, (remember the coast recedes the further east you go making Queen the southernmost major artery) hence the Don Valley Stn is within range of corktown/Cherry St and a new bus route can operate out of its terminal bringing residents even closer.

Whoa...please explain what the Mimico waterfront has to do with single family neighourhoods along Queen. The Queen line (without wild jogs) is not a crazy idea or something. Clearly it has been proposed many times over the years. It's just that the Front/Railway route is superior for many reasons, most importantly cost and effects on development. The Queen line would encourage very undesirable development (which is, of course, happening on a much smaller scale already) of low-rise neighbourhoods along Queen. The Front route would encourage very desirable development along the waterfront and in the railway lands. My personal solution to the Queen and King problems (I take those streetcars every day and I agree there are problems) would be to turn them into a one-way pair with two traffic and two streetcar lanes, using a quick Front/Railway subway for longer distance trips. Of course, other people have different solutions which are equally valid. The East Bayfront is a very considerable walk up to Queen.

Lol! So who was just griping that the Queen line would be inaffective to the CBD. You're just as indecisive as Scarberian! And there'll be negative affects on the theatre/club districts, art-deco block, fashion district, Queen West shopping, Paramount Cinema, CHUM-City, Chinatown and Kennsington Market? It's like the more sensible my plans get the more you find outrageous reasoning and psuedo-logic to discredit them. Oh and if Jarvis, Sherbourne and Parliament won't draw as many riders as farther south (Distillery?) will what's to stop the line from going there. DRL has it's benefits yes but amalgamated with the Queen corridor, not merely on its own, that's all I've been saying.

Wow...okay. First of all, the Queen line might be somewhat useful, but it's much less useful for serving planned and existing CBD development than a line on Front, which also connects with the GTA's major transit hub at Union Station. The TTC actually conducted a massive study which demonstrated that Queen is the worst alignment for a new east-west line downtown. Why is your heart so set on Queen? I might add that your wild jogs in the line are a physical and operational impossibility. The amount of travel time that they would add to the route would make it highly uncompetitive with alternative services. You just can't wildly swing subway around the downtown connecting the density dots. You can't have it all. Yes, a Front line would sacrifice the Eaton Centre and some shops along Queen, but it would add Union Station, the ACC, Rogers Centre, Convention Centre, Ex, and all the new waterfront neighbourhoods.

To throw us off the trail of course, lol! I just find it odd he puts all this stock in yet to proven successes of new and currently non-existant developments and neighbourhoods yet he refuses to give NE and SE Scarborough and north-central Etobicoke a chance. How can he be so certain the population of some areas will never increase and even if they don't are the people living/working/studying there now to forever rely on unreliable bus and GO service?

What does "Give them a chance" mean? You build transit to spots where there is either current or planned development. That's why a subway to York (lots of current development), Scarborough Centre (ditto), or arguably Vaughan Corporate Centre (lots of planned development) makes sense. It is also why subways to wilderness areas where development is prohibited do not make sense.

How can he be certain the population of some areas (i.e. Rouge Park) won't increase? Because development is prohibited there by dozens of laws. Additionally, why would we want to encourage additional development in places like Malvern (if it were even possible to re-develop all the single family homes in that neighbourhood) when there are much better locations with better access like the North Yonge, Sheppard, Don Mills, and Waterfront corridors in which to site development.

Fine then why don't you build your own damn subway systems completely independent of our's since you feel so justified in demanding running miles of underused subways to a dense pocket half a world away while our own dense zones get shit . Yeah I can see it now, full Hurontario and Hwy 7 Lines to Caledon and Uxbridge.

The bitterness is strong in this one! Haha... I wasn't just kidding when I said that you felt all subways should run from one political boundary to another. Nobody has ever, ever suggested building subways to Caledon or Uxbridge. It isn't, however, the slightest bit unreasonable to suggest a subway to Square One or other major destinations in the 905 for a fantasy map, particularly if it includes subways to such high-traffic spots as a wilderness park.

NYC and Chicago have great systems because they know when to stop the subways and let commuter trains and buses take over the rest. Subways can't run outwards forever, what more could you possibly want that a dozen regional terminals meeting with hard subways at or near their borders and even minor juts inwards(Pearson) can't accomplish?

Wow! What an epiphany! Yes, you're absolutely right. Some places are clearly better served by commuter rail. It makes much more sense for someone coming in from Ajax (or Malvern) to take easily accessible (and hopefully much more frequent) GO lines to transfer points in the city, like Main Street, rather than trying to bus them to various fringe subway stops. The only reason Toronto experiences that phenomenon is our bizarre fare system.

Socialwoe, it looks like you took great care making your map. What software did you use? I'd love to make my own map, but I don't want it to take hours. Any pointers? Then I think I can be clearer about my alternative vision.

If you've ever seen Eglinton between at least Mount Pleasant and Keele, you'd know that it's a very pedestrian friendly and bustling shopping strip.

No it isn't! It's shabby. Too many grubby Jamaicans & stuff. Not enough slick Bremner Boulevard yuppies

^ Yeah, I don't like walking there because as a pedestrian I have no lockable doors.

all I've tried to do was prioritze the core over the suburbs first

The only new subway line you add to the core jogs around like a blind man without stopping at Union. One minute you say all of the suburban extensions you plan will bring people downtown, then you say suburbanites are already well-served by GO and don't need subways. If you're trying to prioritize our amusement, you've succeeded.

If one main goal is to reduce transfers, then why doesn't your Sheppard line go to the airport? Why not run from Downsview to Rexdale along Finch to the airport and serve a series of major nodes and destinations in a continuous line requiring no transfers???

But I guess to you that's shits and giggles.

No, I would EXTEND THE SUBWAY TO STC, thus eliminating the transfer. You wouldn't extend the Danforth line until 2075 (but you'd extend the subway to Vaughan by 2045...). Or have your plans become even more enlightened and wonderful since page 6?

Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant

My philosophy is to massively expand the subway system (extend at all 6 current terminating stations, plus Eglinton and the DRL, plus all-day service on GO lines), and to do this immediately, not by 2090. I'd add ~100km of subways, and, unlike your plan, the lines wouldn't run through Utopia.

make Eglinton pedestrain friendly

Yes, an elevated train will do that.

You've told me nothing I didn't already know

You didn't know it before I told you. Remember the whole 'wasteland' discussion? Or were you keeping some knowledge in reserve, preparing for a counter-attack?

Too bad you've all lost faith in my suggestions

Losing faith in them was impossible because I had none to begin with.

That being said, a long-range fantasy including an extension of the subway from Ellesmere east to UTSC or an Eglinton line running north isn't unreasonable

And certainly more reasonable than extending the subway to Malvern. If the Sheppard or BD line ran to UTSC, it would dramatically reduce travel time on the Neilson bus (the busiest Malvern bus). If the BD line ran up McCowan, every person in Malvern would be within a 10min bus ride of a subway station leaving the subways themselves to be run through more suitable areas (McCowan is denser while SE Scarborough has much more feeder bus potential).

An Eglinton line may only run to Kingston initially but could be supported to Morningside & Lawrence in the future. If German-style GO train service doesn't pan out as expected, maybe someone will propose a really wild light rail line that goes from Kingston in the SE, to UTSC, to Malvern, then along Finch/hydro corridor...the same could be built from York/Downsview along Finch to Humber/Woodbine and the airport. We should ask socialwoe what the future will hold since he's sure the Rouge Park/Pickering airport sector of the GTA will be the scene of fantastic developments all warranting subways.

Yeah, I dreamed about running subways along the roof of buildings too.

Wouldn't they be called 'superways' in that context? Perhaps 'surways' would also be right...socialwoe is the linguist here, so I'll let him decide.

all I've tried to do was prioritze the core over the suburbs first

This deserves to be quoted twice.

Back