News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Those who use poles in this City (TTC, Hydro, traffic signals, Bell etc) are very unwilling to share poles so we are seeing more and more being erected. Take a look at Adelaide and Frederick

If only those utilities were publicly owned - then they could work together for the common good.

If only those utilities were publicly owned - then they could work together for the common good.

Except that each of them are their own fiefdom. They need a "czar" to get them to compromise with each other and get things done.

Except that each of them are their own fiefdom. They need a "czar" to get them to compromise with each other and get things done.
Having worked on several "streetscape projects" in my neighbourhood I can say that Toronto Hydro - who do have the excuse that they are regulated - are virtually impossible to work with, impose huge fees and seldom keep to promised timelines. I can understand why other City Departments prefer to work alone and not rely on them for poles but it is certainly too bad.

Adelaide and Frederick is a joke.

Its a lovely intersection otherwise though ! : - ) It really is I LOVE the built form in that area, so many great building right there.

They finished paving the intersection at King last night. Paint some lines, get the lights working and they are done here.

They are still working on the Overpass and the reason Cherry St still not open. Reopening in Oct 2013, then April 2014 has long pass and someone needs to update those signs.

Was able to get a closer look at the loop and for the life of me, why will it take until 2016 to finish that small missing section of the loop at this time??

One month of construction is all that is needed to finish the loop off including the overhead.

That loop should be finish now with that section missing having asphalt in place of concrete for the top coat until after the games. Would do a hell a lot showing the future public riders what to expect when they buy their unit as well to service the area that lives, work and play there now better.

There was a section of the retaining wall up on Sat with more to come before the roadbed could be built.

Now to get the King Car back on the route and 2015 is looking good at this time.

With Cherry now open from Lakeshore to Mill Street, I walked up it this morning. Amazingly, I didn't see a single car, even though it was rush hour! I think cars may have forgotten ... but perhaps easier to drive up Parliament than go up Cherry and along Mill.

I was surprised to see that they were out working on the remaining part of the TTC loop today, excavating it - presumably to start putting in some base material. Given we've been told that they won't be constructing the last piece of trackage until late 2015 or early 2016, I assume they are simply preparing the base, before they cover the entire area with the temporary bus roadway, so they don't have to excavate as much when they finally finish the loop.

You can see in the image below, looking east (and slightly south) from the curb of Cherry Street, the current end of the track, and then the newly excavated portion around the loop.

IMG-20140624-00763.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20140624-00763.jpg
    IMG-20140624-00763.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 787
Whoa, Cherry St is Open as it wasn't on Friday.

More so, they are building the rest of the loop and MayBe, MayBe, we may see service before 2015 after all. One can only hope.

Since Cherry St is only partly open, no reason to use it other staying in the area and too many turns to get to King/Queen St

Whoa, Cherry St is Open as it wasn't on Friday.
I thought it was already open on Friday (and had been for a couple of days) but only between Mill and Lakeshore. 172 service returned to Cherry and Mill Street on the weekend.

More so, they are building the rest of the loop and MayBe, MayBe, we may see service before 2015 after all. One can only hope.
One can hope ... but I have to think they are simply putting in the road base for the loop, so they don't have to excavate it as deep later. Perhaps they will put in the first layer of concrete for the tracks, and then asphalt it all over temporarily. Worth keeping an eye on ...

Or perhaps they've come to their senses ...

Last edited:
I thought it was already open on Friday (and had been for a couple of days) but only between Mill and Lakeshore. 172 service returned to Cherry and Mill Street on the weekend.

One can hope ... but I have to think they are simply putting in the road base for the loop, so they don't have to excavate it as deep later. Perhaps they will put in the first layer of concrete for the tracks, and then asphalt it all over temporarily. Worth keeping an eye on ...

Or perhaps they've come to their senses ...

I guess I didn't look that hard for it been open. Surprise open to Mills consider it can go to Eastern months ago.

Even if they built the sub base, still have to dig it up again to get at the base to put the rails in place on top of it at an extra cost in doing so when it far cheaper to everything now. The amount of buses damaging the top coat will is far cheaper to replace and have the line up and running a week or 2 after TTC gets the loop turn over to them after the games.

One only hope the did come to their sense and seeing this is the best route to go with now regardless if concrete or asphalt is use for the top coat.

This would help TTC to short turn 504 faster than the current route as well 501. It would help the people that can't access 504 now since the bridge will be out of service until 2015 if things stay on course.

From a layperson's perspective, the stretch between Eastern and mill seems like it's ready to go. Does its not being open have anything to do with the streetcar tracks, even though they're physically separated from the road?

//Edit: I forgot to put in "Eastern."
//EDit 2: wow, i also forgot to finish a sentence.

Last edited:

Back