News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

From a layperson's perspective, the stretch between and mill seems like it's ready to go. Does its not being open have anything to do with the streetcar tracks, even though they're physically separated from the
Apparently the delay in opening Cherry from Eastern to Mill is because the actual road moved around a bit and the new layout needs sign-off from the Ministry of the Environment. Yes, one would think this could have started earlier and been done faster but I hear the whole street will reopen by mid-July. The lower bit did not change alignment so could open without MOE approval. They say that Old Eastern Avenue also needs MOE approval, though it really did not change. Bureaucracy!

Went to check it out yesterday. Seems to be a concrete trackbed. Really liking the finishes and the safety posts.

Cherry St loop.jpg

Attachments

• Cherry St loop.jpg
    Cherry St loop.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 819
Went to check it out yesterday. Seems to be a concrete trackbed. Really liking the finishes and the safety posts.
The section of track in your photo has been there for a couple of months and the brickwork and poles for quite a while too. There are safety poles all along Cherry south of Eastern. Now (despite earlier statements that they were not going to complete the loop until after the PAG) they seem to be working on the loop itself, last week they were preparing for the foundation layer of concrete.

The section of track in your photo has been there for a couple of months and the brickwork and poles for quite a while too. There are safety poles all along Cherry south of Eastern. Now (despite earlier statements that they were not going to complete the loop until after the PAG) they seem to be working on the loop itself, last week they were preparing for the foundation layer of concrete.

Maybe I didn't know what I was looking at, but it seemed like the loop was nearly complete, at least in terms of concrete. Definitely not the trench as in the earlier photos. Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe I didn't know what I was looking at, but it seemed like the loop was nearly complete, at least in terms of concrete. Definitely not the trench as in the earlier photos. Thanks for the clarification.
The trench was the very end of the loop. Did you catch what was there?

I was approaching from the south, so I saw that part first: concrete trackbed, no tracks yet.
Ah ... that was the trench. Progress.

The tracks weren't to go in until 2016. It's unclear if they have changed plans, or are building the trackbed, before covering the whole thing with asphalt or something else, for the temporary bus access.

Why not just finish it even if the streetcars are not going to use it? I can't see why they wouldn't use it for short turn cars.

Ah ... that was the trench. Progress.

The tracks weren't to go in until 2016. It's unclear if they have changed plans, or are building the trackbed, before covering the whole thing with asphalt or something else, for the temporary bus access.

I don't really see the logic behind paving over it temporarily. Would buses really do that much damage to a streetcar loop? What does asphalt do to rails?

Just walked there and they have finished pouring the base layer of concrete, we now have to wait and see if the add the rails. I agree with The Lemur that covering rails with asphalt seems unnecessary - if that is to be a bus driveway during PAG why would that harm rails and concrete if they are laid properly?

Just walked there and they have finished pouring the base layer of concrete, we now have to wait and see if the add the rails. I agree with The Lemur that covering rails with asphalt seems unnecessary - if that is to be a bus driveway during PAG why would that harm rails and concrete if they are laid properly?

Exactly. Especially since buses drive over streetcar trackbeds all the time at various TTC stations, and putting asphalt over them presumably means you'd have to jackhammer it away again ...

I can't imagine they'd put asphalt over the rails! Simply over the first layer of concrete.

Are the rails anywhere on site? If they were to be seen somewhere, that would be a good indication of their intentions.

I can't imagine they'd put asphalt over the rails! Simply over the first layer of concrete.

Are the rails anywhere on site? If they were to be seen somewhere, that would be a good indication of their intentions.
Yes, I would think it's either asphalt over base concrete or rails and no asphalt and I think that all will be revealed in a few days. There were extra rails and ties up at the Eastern venue end recently, not needed for that leg of the work. No matter what they do it won't be in use until 2016 so really it doesn't matter.

No matter what they do it won't be in use until 2016 so really it doesn't matter.
One would assume. I'm quietly wondering if there's been a change in plans by Waterfront Toronto.

Isn't Waterfront Toronto also responsible for the 504 detour that's been in place for 10 months now on King between Parliament and Queen? The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if that is going to fail to re-open next month as promised, and that instead some service to Cherry loop will be offered in it's place during peak.

Have you heard anything about the progress for the King/Queen closure?

Back