News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Based on what I been seeing, 4424 could be having break problems like a number of other ones.

They had it running back and forward on track 1 yesterday afternoon after spending the weekend in the service bay. It made 2 trips out to Long Branch last night and back to the yard both time. It could been out more after that, but I was a sleep.

Today you can find the car out in Lake Ontario, up in Brampton and currently on the Gardiner near the 427. Hasn't shown up correctly at all today.

If it not in service by the weekend, you may find it in the service bay or the yard. Even if it went into service on Wed, you most likely find it at the Barns.

Time is running out to have 4431 here by year end. If it is, it may not be in service come Dec 30, but BBD would full fill their promise to have 30 cars on site this year. 2017 will be a different story.

Not just Toronto having manufacturing delays with streetcars and light rail vehicles.

See link.

Surprising Ridership Data on Los Angeles Metro's New Expo Line Extension
The light rail extension opened May 20 and is already 70 percent toward meeting its 2030 ridership projection. According to a survey conducted in June by Metro, more than two-thirds of riders were new to the Expo Line.

What's plaguing Metro is not a shortage of parking spots but a shortage of cars, light rail cars, that is, on the Expo Line, "due to manufacturing delays," reports McCarty.

But officials have promised that enough new cars will be in service by December to allow trains to run every six minutes during peak hours. They now run about every 12 minutes or more.

"Seasoned riders and transit newcomers have griped about cars so jammed during peak hours that there is no room for bicycles, wheelchairs or, at some stations, any more passengers," reported Laura J. Nelson for the Los Angeles Times. Nelson explains what went wrong, with Metro first ordering rail cars from AnsaldoBreda, an Italian firm, then Osaka-based Kinkisharyo International, to be manufactured in Palmdale.

Not just Toronto having manufacturing delays with streetcars and light rail vehicles.

See link.

Surprising Ridership Data on Los Angeles Metro's New Expo Line Extension
The light rail extension opened May 20 and is already 70 percent toward meeting its 2030 ridership projection. According to a survey conducted in June by Metro, more than two-thirds of riders were new to the Expo Line.

What's plaguing Metro is not a shortage of parking spots but a shortage of cars, light rail cars, that is, on the Expo Line, "due to manufacturing delays," reports McCarty.

But officials have promised that enough new cars will be in service by December to allow trains to run every six minutes during peak hours. They now run about every 12 minutes or more.

"Seasoned riders and transit newcomers have griped about cars so jammed during peak hours that there is no room for bicycles, wheelchairs or, at some stations, any more passengers," reported Laura J. Nelson for the Los Angeles Times. Nelson explains what went wrong, with Metro first ordering rail cars from AnsaldoBreda, an Italian firm, then Osaka-based Kinkisharyo International, to be manufactured in Palmdale.
It is true that systems in the USA are having delays, but not even close to the delays TTC is having.

Dallas got their cars on time, Detroit got their first car ahead of schedule; KC & Cinci got their cars a few months late, but were able to open their lines on time.

Others were/are late about 6 months and to be back on schedule in 2017 or sooner.

What is a system to do when ridership exceed not only the first year number, but number projected years down the road within week/months after going into service that there aren't spare cars to handle the excess riders???

KC is expecting their million rider by the end of the month, not May 2017 as plan, considering it only open in May this year. The Blue line in Minneapolis exceeded 2020 numbers in early 2000's, 6 months after opening and had to order more cars then.

Even if the Expo line had the cars it supposed to have now, ridership is out stripping those cars with more to be order.

Even TTC has out strip cars to riders and that can be blame on the bean counters and the city not willing to go 1:1 back in 2005 when first proposed. Even if TTC did do the 1:1, it will be short cars to carry riders come 2018.

There are orders in Europe behind schedule as well.

Philadelphia SEPTA had to pull all their new cars due to wheel frame issues a few months ago and expect them to be back in service by Nov, depending the pin issue that has surface.

A few month late is nothing compare to 2 years for TTC.

As a NOTE: 4424 has been sitting in the yard all afternoon

4424 is in service on 510 now

That's not an unacceptable break-in period, considering that a defective module could well escape the factory testing and only be discovered in road testing - and the time needed to get a spare and install leaves the car sitting idle for a time.

My impression from the past deliveries is that, once the cars are accepted and enter service, they (mostly) stay there.... ie the testing is good and rigourous and the cars don't display continuing failures after getting signed off. Has anyone seen hard data to confirm this one way or the other?

- Paul

Here is my first sight of TTC 4424 this morning, Thursday, September 22nd, 2016, on the 510 Spadina line. TTC 4404 had just stopped at the southbound Sussex Avenue platform when TTC 4424 came to a stop at the northbound platform, right behind TTC 4404.
IMG_0757.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0757.JPG
    IMG_0757.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 845
Here is TTC 4424 again, this time southbound on the 510 Spadina line, on Thursday morning, September 22nd, 2016. It had just come up the ramp from Spadina Station and was approaching the southbound Sussex Avenue platform.
IMG_0767.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 805
Good to see 4424 out. I will be waiting closely tomorrow what the total count of new streetcars is going to be.

Good to see 4424 out. I will be waiting closely tomorrow what the total count of new streetcars is going to be.

my guess would be full service on 510 maybe 2 or 3 on 514 cherry and at least one on 509. I think 509 will see only one or two until the end of the year when the construction of exhibition loop is complete and we we lily see 514 be all Flexes before 509 is.

With Line 1 close this weekend south of Bloor, 510 is being beef up with more cars. As for 514, the goal is to have it all Flexes ASP now, then go to 509 & 511 in 2017

Looks like Siemens is main player in the US these days as they just pickup another 122 cars starting in 2019. Between this order and SF order, depending which one is used in the end, that almost 400 cars and delivering 56 cars a year to SF. I guess they still have room for more cars.

Sound Transit orders 122 LRVs for $554 million

my guess would be full service on 510 maybe 2 or 3 on 514 cherry and at least one on 509. I think 509 will see only one or two until the end of the year when the construction of exhibition loop is complete and we we lily see 514 be all Flexes before 509 is.

You guessed wrong.

There have been 15 on 510, 2 on 509, and only 1 on 514 this morning. This has been the situation for weeks. One step forward, one step back; what a surprise.

Where are: 4410, 4420, 4423?

There were 19 out yesterday (15+2+2) and I also saw one doing training on King East.

Didn't someone mention that 4410 was in a collision?

4420 and 4423 are parked at Roncs.

Back