News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

In this proposal I'd consider designing the Ellesmere/SCC section of track so that Line 2 and 4 can share the line. So instead of duplicating infrastructure and spending scarce funds on both elevated and underground, it'd be either one. Two services on one line. It could also be a three track setup with stations designed like Davisville, but considering the demand a two-track setup would probably be fine.

The reason I drew them as separate lines was because I wanted to re-use the existing station sites, Ellesmere for the Blood-Danforth and Midland for the Sheppard Subway. I'm assuming that the wider curves needed for the subway vs. SRT or LRT means that the BD Line couldn't line up with the alignment of Midland Stn in time for a combined line through that area, only to well to the east of there.

There is merit to not keeping the Sheppard Line elevated through this segment however. South of Agincourt GO, the line could tunnel underneath the Uxbridge Sub, veer eastwards and route underground to Scarborough Centre Stn. A larger stacked bore tunnel with one subway line on top of the other could be used for this segment, which would free up the air rights for high-rise development.

I really think that Sheppard ending at mccowan makes the most sense. One because Nissan and Canadian tire are sitting on huge redevopable pieces of land but two because I think if Danforth is going to be extended it should not end at STC but Sheppard if not woodside square. Now I'm dreaming in one city cobra colour

I really think that Sheppard ending at mccowan makes the most sense. One because Nissan and Canadian tire are sitting on huge redevopable pieces of land but two because I think if Danforth is going to be extended it should not end at STC but Sheppard if not woodside square. Now I'm dreaming in one city cobra colour
Now that's fantasy thread material. Also, it should go to Markville Mall in 50+ years.

The wide gauge the ttc uses is another problem, I think they would have to do something like this
cta2509b.jpg

They do not have to do something like this, they can separate the trains going in each direction on opposite shoulders.

Sheppard has some nice big shoulders on each side, so utilize them.

pSpWPBB.jpg

The last section of the Canada Line is single tracked, so I could imagine having two of these elevated structures on both sides of Sheppard, in the grassy shoulders

vetOshI.jpg

You can easily construct single column supports for double elevated tracks. It will only take up part of the centre turn lanes and still leave room for crossings.

IMG_4368.PNG
IMG_4369.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_4368.PNG
    IMG_4368.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 319
  • IMG_4369.PNG
    IMG_4369.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 317
There is no doubt that the elevated track can run quite gracefully above the median of the road (taking up maybe 2m for the column diameter), or along the side of road. The station is what takes up the space and is a potential visual concern.

The elevated guideway is about 8m wide (2, 3m wide tracks and a 2m walkway), while at the station, the structure is about twice the width (3m track, 8m centre platform and 3m track, or 6m platform, 2 x 3m track, 6m platform). This 14 to 18m wide station needs to fit somewhere. In the median, the centre pier columns could take the vertical weight of the trains, but bents would have to span above the roadway to support the platform areas. Also, a couple of pedestrian bridges are needed for people to access the platforms. I think it makes more sense to run side-of-road (lets say south for now). Approaching the station, the north tracks stays parallel to Sheppard, while the south track curves south by ~8m to create space for the platform. This station box would be on the side of road and would have to be integrated with buildings at that location.

I guess people haven't seen this

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/11/voters-in-to-split-between-cons-and-liberals

A tie in Toronto is very dangerous for the Liberals. The #1 issue in the city is transit so I expect a New "package deal of unfunded projects" from the liberals to make the whole city happy:
  • DRL Long (downtown + North York votes)
  • Waterfront LRT (Downtown + South Etobicoke votes)
  • Complete Sheppard East + West (Scarborough + North York votes)
  • Crosstown West (Etobicoke votes)
*Scarborough Subway + Crosstown East (funded with original 2-3 stop subway plan)
*Finch West Funded

Sheppard would never get built as a standalone project but as a package deal, it's easier to have it pass. With the Federal government infrastructure program, it's really now or never to push all of the above through. With 50% of all shovel ready projects paid by the Feds, it makes it more affordable for the province to add these projects in their books, especially if the Liberals are in danger.

Shedding a tear of joy just reading this. Please don't play with my emotions

It's shovel ready projects only... Up to the city or/and the province to push everything to shovel ready status to see the money flow.

Ive noticed the Feds and Province pitching in to pay for the design work on the current projects. Certainly we are seeing a very solid commitment right now from the Fed to help move these projects along. With the Provincial election a coin flip, the City really needs stability to keep the plans on track. If the City falls off the rails because some noob desperately feels the need to fight for LRT transfers in Scarborough, its big trouble and our Politics could flush to new lows.

Seriously hard to imagine that happening for two reasons. First such a plan would never help anyone get elected municipally and second the only kids left throwing these tantrums are a handful of councilors and their media friends. All parties above of any Political stripe seem to have had enough debate and are moving on without them in hopes the City can stay on course

Last edited:
careful.....the "eyesore" naysayers are still out there in force....
That last render is quite attractive really and I had the same thought that you voiced here when the first discussion of elevated subways came up. They need not be unattractive.

Last edited:
That last render is quite attractive really and I had the same thought that you voiced here when the first discussion of elevated subways came up. They need not be unattractive.

They maybe attractive, however the fiscal conservatives would not allow it because they would cost extra gravy money.

Back