News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Actually, I think there was a motion that was passed to revisit Sheppard last time council met over the Transit file.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/council-transit-debate-projects-1.3676433

Yes. And the report will come back explaining why the Sheppard extension is a terrible idea, how it will cost twice as much as the projections from the Ford era, and how Sheppard will live with enhanced bus services feeding the Relief Line Long for the rest of eternity.

OneCity and nfitz can you both agree to disagree and move this conversation back to SSE? Thanks

Nfitz - "You call yourself "OneCity". But really, it's "SouthWestScarborough" isn't it?"

TBH This really doesn't belong in any thread.

If you read my last post or any you'd know I support Tory's plan and it make this comment even more absurd. "Non-downtown" centric views should not be bullied or attacked no matter how "experienced" you are on this forum. I even clearly mentioned between the three I fully support Tory's plan. It shouldn't be "connectivity" vs. "priority areas" or "subway" vs, "lrt" to begin with. What I originally posted was an explanation what Miller ignored and was very important to Scarborough residents and how Ford used it to his advantage. I don't support Ford's plan, just parts of it and parts of Millers.

I wont go further, but trying to help you better understand as I think somehow there were multiple misunderstandings that lead to you being a bit abusive. Please be more respectful.

Last edited:
Because scarborough is the biggest voting area of toronto
? In 2011, Scarborough was 625,930 compared to 667,840 in North York and 620,175 in Etobicoke/York. Meanwhile Toronto/East York was 701,145.

In 2016, Toronto/East York grew massively - although the new numbers aren't in front of me; I thought someone had posted them recently.

my memory isnt a steel trap but i thought that scarborough had more Councillors or mpps percentage wise.. i could be wrong.

It you look at the pre-amalgamation cities, perhaps - by a very narrow margin. But not the post 1990s districts. Especially with the much faster growth rate downtown.

I thought although downtowns population was growing their percentage of councillers wasnt which is why people say things such as in the mayoral race that whoever wins scarborough wins the city.

I thought although downtowns population was growing their percentage of councillers wasnt which is why people say things such as in the mayoral race that whoever wins scarborough wins the city.
Well it hasn't grown for a while, but downtown is getting more councillors in the new 48-seat plan (if that's what they've settled on). Scarborough gets 1 more, if I recall correctly.

Attachments

• Wards.jpg
    Wards.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 275
I think it was 47. Unless they are going back again which would never shock me.
Yeah, that's right. 47.

Looking at your figure, hmm, so Scarborough stays at 10 councillors. North York looks like it goes from 11 to 12. Etobicoke-York stays at 11. And Toronto East York goes from 12 to 15.

The biggest change is the core of downtown, where old wards 20, 27, and 28, become new wards 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, and 25.

Of course, it depends on where they draw the regional divisions, particularly around York.

Certainly downtown seems to be the biggest beneficiary.

And some affluent Beaches used their powers & didn't have to build there own wall.
To be fair, the 47-ward proposal right from the beginning, divided down Victoria Park. It was only the 44-ward proposal that broke up the Beaches. And that didn't have much support from council in many ways, because of the way it divided neighbourhoods.

Because scarborough is the biggest voting area of toronto
they certainly do not vote together for heavens sake. Why people still use scarborough, north York etc amazes me. Its Toronto. When referring to area refer to them by street and you get rid of this scarborough vs the rest of the city

Why people still use scarborough, north York etc amazes me. Its Toronto. When referring to area refer to them by street and you get rid of this scarborough vs the rest of the city
Because Toronto is divided politically into 4 districts, each with it's own community council. Scarborough, Etobicoke York, North York, and Toronto-East York.

http://www.toronto.ca/committees/community_councils.htm
upload_2017-2-18_15-15-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-18_15-15-56.png
    upload_2017-2-18_15-15-56.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 346
The Etobicoke York District includes Ward 13, which includes Swansea and Bloor West Village. Part of pre-amalgamation City of Toronto.

Back