News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

That looks cool as hell!

RNDSQR has a new rendering of a 20-unit townhouse development: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbz_ih_hgRj/?taken-by=rndsqr_

Looks like it will be at the corner of 16 St and 48 Ave SW (in Altadore across from Monogram coffee)
It looks kinda 70's, yet, also looks new and fresh.
Image11.jpg

Attachments

• Image11.jpg
    Image11.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 359
Great looking development. Only issue is the front yards are too big. More useful in the rear. I would imagine it is a bylaw issue though. Too bad.
I think this is exactly it. Back around 2013ish, Brookfield had a townhome development planned for this site that went through the "transforming planning" process at the City. It got through approvals easily enough, but ended up being refused by SDAB because of the front setback relaxation they had proposed (it was a project with a similar layout to The Henry in Parkdale).

Interesting stats from CMHC for the rental market in Calgary. Seems rental demand is keeping up with supply so far.

https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/odpub/esub/64371/64371_2017_A01.pdf?fr=1511891491356

From article
Apartment vacancy rate declines despite a strong increase in rental supply In the Calgary Census Metropolitan Area (CMA), the apartment vacancy rate in the primary rental market declined to 6.3% in October 2017 from 7.0% in October 2016. This represents the first year-over-year decrease since 2013. Rental demand in Calgary has improved compared to the previous year, and outpaced the amount of new rental supply added to the market.

That is fantastic news. So it's then not surprising how many rental projects are going ahead. Hopefully it bodes well for the rumoured conversion of the Barron Building to residential.

I think this is exactly it. Back around 2013ish, Brookfield had a townhome development planned for this site that went through the "transforming planning" process at the City. It got through approvals easily enough, but ended up being refused by SDAB because of the front setback relaxation they had proposed (it was a project with a similar layout to The Henry in Parkdale).

Ahhhh, I remember that story. Freaking shame about SDAB basically kyboshing the whole process. I, for one, hate contextual front setback rules. Ruins streetscapes, creates unusable space, reduces ability for functional front porches that actually interact with the sidewalk.

That is fantastic news. So it's then not surprising how many rental projects are going ahead. Hopefully it bodes well for the rumoured conversion of the Barron Building to residential.

I'm sure the residential units couldn't hurt the atmosphere on 8th ave. I'm a little chapped to see the proposed expansion dead an buried if that's the case though. I thought it was elegant.

upload_2017-11-28_16-37-1.png

Also, what do you think the odds of those trees from the render ever making it in? :p

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-28_16-37-1.png
    upload_2017-11-28_16-37-1.png
    704.9 KB · Views: 321
I wouldn't say that it's a foregone conclusion that the extension would be nixed. If anything, a new-construction component to the project with office style floor-heights in a new-age form of Loft living would attract a great deal of interest, in my opinion.

Someone told me rental vacancies were at 10%, so it's nice to hear that they've come down. Also could be good news for future developments.

It never went as high as 10%. Nice to see it dropping. 6% is still high. (like 15% in office space terms)

Back