News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Is there a reason why the City creates separate plans for specific streets in the downtown (eg: 8th Street, Stephen Avenue, and others) as opposed to creating one plan encompassing all of downtown together? Wouldn’t that be better synergy?

An update on Eau Claire plaza... some nice decorative lighting has popped up overhead the walkway and it looks like the giant concrete slab people have been hating on has one more level to be poured so perhaps this will be a bit more visually interesting?

20230216_164515.jpg

20230216_164714.jpg

20230216_165041.jpg

New Centre St Bridge ramps:

20230216_165544.jpg

Oh nice, I bet there will be large pavers then on top of the concrete slab, where as the purpose of the slab would be long term structural stability.

Last time I was by there I thought the concrete finishing on the steps wasn’t finished product level but as we’ve experienced elsewhere before you just never know.

Is there a reason why the City creates separate plans for specific streets in the downtown (eg: 8th Street, Stephen Avenue, and others) as opposed to creating one plan encompassing all of downtown together? Wouldn’t that be better synergy?
That is a good question! I don't know why they don't create a standard for roads here. Basically all of the streets in the Downtown and Beltline are oversized and one-way because the original intention of the Plus-15s was to turn our Avenues into freeways and that spilled over to the Beltline, back in the day. With the push for downtown revitalization strategies at the City, they should be creating streetscape master plans that put streets on a major road diet and create way more liveable streets. In the East Village, they upfronted the public realm improvements to lure residential/mixed-use development using TIF financing from the Bow Tower to do it. It worked (even if the investment is slow), but they don't seem to take the same approach downtown which is dumb. The avenues downtown are ridiculously oversized one way car sewers that could easily accommodate wider sidewalks/patio spaces, curb extensions, tree-line assignments and in some cases adjustments back to two-way streets. But they don't put the public realm improvements first, and because of that residential investment lags because developers have no idea what the intended finished condition would be. The current paradigm and extremely car-oriented nature of the streets isn't luring the investment (other areas of the inner-city are) for residential development, but the downtown lacks urban design guidelines and focus and no one knows what it is supposed to look like, because there is no vision. Not to mention Part 3, Division 1, Table 1 of the Land Use Bylaw is holdover policy from 2P80 that the City enforces for "Public Realm Setbacks" that are literally just renamed from "Road Widening Setbacks" and no one at the City has ever clarified a vision for what they would ever do in those setback areas. Until the City creates urban design guidelines for these areas and begins following there own Complete Street Guidelines, no developer knows what they are doing with these streets, let alone what the intent of the "public realm setbacks" are on streets that are already, clearly, way to wide and car-oriented. Many of which are downtown and in the inner-city. God forbid the City use there already over-sized ROWs for public realm improvements. Instead the City prefers to just eat up developers land to do those "public realm improvements" that they have zero vision for, and just continue to never address the aggressive car-oriented design that the Transportation department at the City has mandated for decades and has no flexibility on.

Also if people say it is hard to add the curb extensions, tree line assignments, etc. because of the utilities in the downtown or Beltline, then just do the exact same Utility Scan process in the Marda Loop Urban Design Strategy. I think the City needs to create an overarching streetscape masterplan for the downtown and beltline with the information they have available and stop letting the transportation dept get all of the outcomes they want (ie. let good urban planning principles prevail).
1676620684848.png

Last edited:
The good news for downtown is that there is so much potential for public realm! The wide avenues and streets means there is plenty of room to create beautiful public spaces. 4-5 lane, one way avenues could easily be turned into two-way, tree-lined boulevards, with widened sidewalks and protected bike lanes. All we need is vision, money, and the guts to push back on the transportation/roads, and the suburbanites who will complain about the impact to their commutes (which for many people, are only happening 2-3 times per week now anyways). If wfh is going to continue, then now is the time to transform downtown into a thriving 24/7 neighbourhood/destination.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. recently released its Rental Market Report showing Calgary’s vacancy rate last fall was 2.7 per cent for purpose-built rental buildings, down from 5.1 per cent vacancy for the same period in 2021. That’s despite growing supply among rental units at a quicker pace than 2021, the report added.

Looks like the purpose built rental towers are filling up.

I’m reeeeally being patient for these rumoured several new proposals, but shit my patience is running low 🤣

Definitely stoked to see what One has come up with for Q Block in the EV. And really anticipating the start of EV606 and Vita. Those projects combined plus Vibe (someday?) will bring like 2000 people to the EV. I neeeeed it! 🤤

Edit: now that I think of it, is it possible that the city may be incentivizing the U of C to take up the CBE lot to the east of the EV Hat? I know it’s been talked about going into a converted office tower, but as has been discussed, offices have very limited convertibility capacity with the extreme volume of student movements. A purpose-built site would make the most sense perhaps. 3 blocks from both City Hall Station and the eventual 4 Street South Station, the Central Library, and a ton of extant top-notch services (groceries, cafe’s, restaurants, winners, liquor, cannabis, salon, etc)… not a bad location. Arguably a perfect location for a campus with a student rez on top? I of course don’t know anything about the logistics of such things. Just a fantasy I guess.

Last edited:
I hope we see a boat load of five/ones pop up if we get a building boom. Time to re-introduce a recent question. Which major project will be the next to break ground? As far as I know there are only a few that were rumored as possibly close, due to permit action etc.. West Village Tower III, Sovereign, and Gallery First and Tenth.

Are you talking high-rise or just highly anticipated projects in general? Because I’d say EV606 beats them all out, given the pushback from the community against Gallery. Possibly Vita. Isn’t Sovereign dead? I thought that was discussed a while ago 🤔

West Village Three is an outlier. Honestly with Cidex, it could happen friggin tomorrow, or they could just dump of bunch of cow shit in the hole sprinkled with shattered spandrel “mulch” and leave it forever 🤷🏻‍♂️ 🤣

Back