News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Sad that this is what Winsport chose to spend on, happy that they are spending at all.

The lodge badly needed a reclad and surely some mechanical upgrades. It's busy on weekends but not oppressively busy. Unlike Sunshine, most people skiing at Winsport are just there for a few hours and don't really need to use the day lodge. More people will go into the lodge for a burger and fries if it's bigger and nicer, but it didn't seem like the most pressing need to me. $40M seems very steep.

Likely the best business case as it promotes high margin food and beverage sales
The lodge badly needed a reclad and surely some mechanical upgrades. It's busy on weekends but not oppressively busy. Unlike Sunshine, most people skiing at Winsport are just there for a few hours and don't really need to use the day lodge. More people will go into the lodge for a burger and fries if it's bigger and nicer, but it didn't seem like the most pressing need to me. $40M seems very steep.
We will see whether it helps or not. Certainly having income generating assets which are paid for largely by outside funds helps (2016-->2017)
1719948950247.png

I'd rather they draw down their endowment to keep the specialized facilities operating, or reduce the costs of those facilities operating (capital upgrades). I think that more closely fulfills their mandate.

That project was cancelled and the capital funds largely migrated to the lodge project. Incredibly disappointing.
That is a real piss off having grown up in a luge family. Such a perfect location to have the sliding track and at the time more affordable housing. Sliding athletes easily able to attend uni while competing in sports.

Didn't they demo a bunch of it? Is it just sitting there half torn apart still?
Yes. the top part was demolished and closed. Basically, our sliding athletes have to train in whistler now, which is much more expensive and difficult to get to/from which will likely kill the number of participants massively in Canada.

36 years after the games that is pretty sad... But I guess as a city we have moved on. The people in the city who were here for the games has diminished, meaning there are no real champions of a game's legacy, I guess this was bound to happen.

So our Olympic legacy is now basically just the Oval?
Yup, as Winsport decided it was more important to be sustainable (while not fulfilling what many would see as their mandate) over the very long term than fulfilling their mandate over the medium term (the next 25 years) and worrying about sustainability over time.

Back