News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to these callers on the AM Talk Radio show with Oakley leaves me totally bewildered. Their support for him is blind!

One old woman remarked, "If I had to deal with the lefties every day I'd be a drunk too! I support you!"

This reminds me of the people who stood up for Todd Bertuzzi when he viciously hit Steve Moore nine years ago. At the time there were a lot of people in comment sections, AM sports radio and NHL message boards supporting Bertuzzi's hit. I don't know what it is about people support "celebrity status" criminals... my guess is it's some combination of ignorance and boredom.

What baffles me is the people who vocally support on Facebook or the TV news. Talk radio, comment section and messages can be anonymous but with Facebook and television, you're really putting yourself out there.

Judging by the people who are vocally supporting him, my guess is they are either retired, on disability, willfully unemployed or self-employed. They're the type of people who aren't concerned or aren't saavy enough to realize someone may Google them in the future and will discover how much they supported a lying, crack smoking clown of a mayor. That's the type of thing that could potentially damage your chances at applying for a job. To go against the grain and willfully be a shit disturber in the media by supporting Ford at this time is risking your reputation. I just don't get it.

There is a small segment of people with extreme right-wing ("far right") views, who usually keep their views highly suppressed, especially in a city like Toronto.

An incident like this, however... and the "crazy" just pops out.

There is a small segment of people with extreme right-wing ("far right") views, who usually keep their views highly suppressed, especially in a city like Toronto.

An incident like this, however... and the "crazy" just pops out.

You've clearly never listened to talk radio during normal times.

Sarnya, there are many crazy people on Facebook who would support the likes of Hitler even.

The sad thing is some of those people have young kids. One day their kids will Google their parents' names and find some cached discussion where their parents may have said "I don't care if he smoked crack, he saved me $60 on my car!" How do you explain to someone years later that you vocally supported a crackhead politician? For me, it'd be like finding out my dad thought the MLK Jr. assassination was a good thing... I'd be painfully embarrassed and upset.

Crazy crackpot theory time:

After the Danzig shooting and the Eaton Centre shootings Ford had some pretty harsh words about running gangs out of town etc.

From Doolittle's piece about how she came to see the video, she mentioned that the videos owners were worried about the Smith shooting and that Ford was exploiting them...

Is it possible that Ford is involved with gang members beyond just purchasing crack from them, and potentially using his position as mayor to assist a gang in cornering the Toronto crack market?

Last edited:
The sad thing is some of those people have young kids. One day their kids will Google their parents' names and find some cached discussion where their parents may have said "I don't care if he smoked crack, he saved me $60 on my car!" How do you explain to someone years later that you vocally supported a crackhead politician? For me, it'd be like finding out my dad thought the MLK Jr. assassination was a good thing... I'd be painfully embarrassed and upset.
Same.

The Internet never forgets.

Hey... I've been lurking this thread along with all the other hundreds but......

Is the media overlooking the Anthony smith murder? I don't understand why this hasn't been brought to the fore front. Is it just because implicating his involvement in a homicide is dangerous legal territory?
As much as the media has done GOOD on this, I feel like they aren't digging in enough.

Dear Toronto: You're Being Trolled By Ford Nation
by Reginald Braithwaite

Posted: 11/05/2013 3:07 pm

Do you ever have this nightmare?

You're on the Internet, and you're trying to explain something sensible to someone, and they're heaping abuse on you? And when you start to make headway with a point, they sideslip into something totally irrelevant? And everything that is obviously subjective is objective to them? And everything obviously objective is subjective to them?

I have this nightmare too: It's called being trolled. The primary characteristic of being trolled is when you are trying to achieve something positive, but can't make any headway because the other party's agenda is to disrupt and hijack the conversation.

Trolls are toxic. You know that, I know that. We all run into them, like the "Men's Rights" jackasses who want to turn every story of abuse into a debate about how men get raped for their sperm and sued for child support and it's a double standard.

Have you got that person in your mind? Great. Let's review who they are and what they want:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/reginald-braithwaite/rob-ford_b_4220497.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Hey... I've been lurking this thread along with all the other hundreds but......

Is the media overlooking the Anthony smith murder? I don't understand why this hasn't been brought to the fore front. Is it just because implicating his involvement in a homicide is dangerous legal territory?
As much as the media has done GOOD on this, I feel like they aren't digging in enough.

Oh, I think they very much are investigating it. The Star editor even said it today. I think they are *profoundly* interested in this. The problem is evidence. Accusing the mayor of smoking crack when they've seen visual evidence is one thing. Connecting him to a murder without hard proof is quote another.

They need the smoking gun, pardon the metaphor (which may not be a metaphor at all). That's the end game.

For what it's worth, I apologize for my language. It was borne out of a moment of intense frustration that came from 6 months of listening to excuses. I will not apologize for addressing Ford Nation in anger however, it's deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back