News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The excavator is right on the edge, and clearly removed some sod from the hill. The hill itself is sketchy, not sure the material it's built out of. I'm used to seeing retaining walls or limestone trenches, not just a steep hill.
I think the goal is to remove that hill a bit and build a retaining wall, the new pathway is going to be going through there to the lower Pimisi entrance

I think the goal is to remove that hill a bit and build a retaining wall, the new pathway is going to be going through there to the lower Pimisi entrance
Seems like it based on this image.

1710874721368.png

As the skyline builds around the Aqueduct rapids, and with the Library and the escarpment looming over them, this little urban oasis is forming into one of the more unique features in the core of any city in Canada...or even the World. Where else on Planet Earth can you white water kayak surrounded by highrise buildings?!? They really need to figure out Commisioners Street and all that asphalt. It could easily be a cobblestone/smooth stone road running through the park for how little traffic it gets, it's just a parking lot access road. This whole area should be a world class park. There could be a little ampitheatre viewing area for the rapids, tulip beds, a public washroom, drinking fountains, and a great lawn (like Major's Hill Park). This is a massive opportunity for city building.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 152701.png

As the skyline builds around the Aqueduct rapids, and with the Library and the escarpment looming over them, this little urban oasis is forming into one of the more unique features in the core of any city in Canada...or even the World. Where else on Planet Earth can you white water kayak surrounded by highrise buildings?!? They really need to figure out Commisioners Street and all that asphalt. It could easily be a cobblestone/smooth stone road running through the park for how little traffic it gets, it's just a parking lot access road. This whole area should be a world class park. There could be a little ampitheatre viewing area for the rapids, tulip beds, a public washroom, drinking fountains, and a great lawn (like Major's Hill Park). This is a massive opportunity for city building.

View attachment 549587

I would love too see a better connection from Fleet St / Pooley's bridge up the escarpment to Bronson park, either a staircase (and probably elevator, kind of a mini version of the Parliament heat and cooling plant park facility), or if we want to get really cool and fun with it, a Mont Tremblant cabriolet style mini gondola (This may be too much, but I just really love this thing).

tremblant.PNG

I agree this will be a very interesting urban environment. Quite unique to Ottawa.

Would love to see an elevator from Bronson Park down to Commissioner Street, which REALLY needs an overhaul.

Here's some idea of what the park will be:

1710879818950.png

Partial results of the engagement survey:

View attachment 549587
How crazy would I be to suggest that the access to that parking lot could be achieved via the Mill St Brewery access road, and then under Portage Bridge and around the corner. Most of the connection already exists. Yes, it would sacrifice some MUP and greenspace, but it would allow for the elimination of both nodes of Commissioners, freeing up a significant area of greenspace.

How crazy would I be to suggest that the access to that parking lot could be achieved via the Mill St Brewery access road, and then under Portage Bridge and around the corner. Most of the connection already exists. Yes, it would sacrifice some MUP and greenspace, but it would allow for the elimination of both nodes of Commissioners, freeing up a significant area of greenspace.
I like it...but better yet, can we not eliminate that parking lot altogether? Wouldn't the need for that much parking for federal facilities be negated by the combination of our new light rail and work-from-home? I can't think of a better place in the core to either renature or build a new place of national interest.

That would be most ideal. I would love to see it as greenspace + a couple restaurants, a la Tavern et al, but maybe a tad better quality/menu. There’s almost nowhere to eat on the river in this city.

What will happen to the FlixBus Station if Commissioner closes lol

Back