News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Is this the stupidest project in the entire GTA?

• Of course it is.

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Without a doubt.

Votes: 46 65.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is not the city. This is Pen Equity. The city has little or nothing to do with any of these buildings.

Sorry, for clarity I was referring to 277 Victoria /the current Hakim Optical Building (N side of Dundas). The City owns 277 Victoria and expropriated the Hakim building with a view to sell / develop this block to a condo / hotel developer. Given all the condo / hotel developments in the city that have been marketed / developed over the past few years one can only wonder why this block wasn't developed. Now that there are no more excuses (on Metropolis / Toronto Life Square) I am hoping it comes to market.

Additionally my understanding is that the Mission Press Building is now owned by Hakim, not PenEquity. PenEquity is not involved...

Sept 11:

MissionPress1.jpg

This building is an eye soar. I'm glad they are renovating it...it will boost the area for sure.

That building transcended its eyesoredom back when it still housed the Mission Press...

Well, at least Victoria to Bay is looking good with all the latest improvements and One City Hall is pushing that further West. I do agree that Dundas is really crappy beyond there.

The new Hakim building is going to be an eyesore as well, maybe to a lesser-extent than what is there now, but nonetheless an eyesore.

p5

I don't know if I'd call that building an eye-sore exactly. It's got great bones, beautifully worn-in brickwork, and has a certain honesty that shouldn't be overlooked (and certainly not covered-over with a more up-to-date mediocrity).

Use it as an anachronistic podium and build a slender miesian box above it, just don't replace it with some boring 80s glass curtain wall.

Yeah, the Bond hotel next to it has far less in terms of character.

You can include the stretch between Yonge and Univ. too....

Great advances have been made between Yonge and Bay (including 1 City Hall on the south/west corner). Bay to University isn't shiny-beautiful but it certainly has character with all the Chinese shops and restaurants.

Back