News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to work at the Star, and know exactly how many subscriptions they have. There is no way they would have lost 100,000 subscriptions due complaints about their handling of the Ford stories.

I'll stand corrected, that's the number that seemed to stick in my mind. I should have done this already, I Googled "Robyn Doolittle+Toronto Star subscriptions" and got a hit that indicates the Star lost $500,000 in cancelled subscriptions after the first crack story went out.

One poll revealed that 48 percent of the city believed the video did not exist. The Star reportedly lost more than $500,000 in cancelled subscriptions. “That nearly half the city would think a newspaper would sit around and conspire to make something up was heartbreaking,” Doolittle says. “To me, there was so much supporting evidence that what we were reporting was true, including the photo of the mayor in front of a crack house with a guy who’d recently been shot dead in an alleged gunfight.”

http://www.flare.com/celebrity/entertainment/profile-crack-reporter/ (quote above: 10 paragraphs from the bottom)

Media is struggling, it's tough out there and the Star has proven over and over again how important real investigative journalism is. Of course I am in no way affiliated with the Star or any of it's advertisers, I simply believe it's the right thing to do and I don't believe anyone has suggested supporting the Star throughout all of this.
And yet Journalism schools continue to disgourged a thousand grads a year. What the heck are all these people going to do for work?

I am wondering if the $500,000 also includes lost advertising sales (instead of just subscription revenues) since Cooke's quote refers to lost business. Meaning the number of actual lost subscriptions just makes up a portion of the $500K.

I am wondering if the $500,000 also includes lost advertising sales (instead of just subscription revenues) since Cooke's quote refers to lost business. Meaning the number of actual lost subscriptions just makes up a portion of the $500K.

I strongly suspect this to be the case.

Me too, but Giroux is supposed to be their number one guy.

It's crazy, the balancing act Giroux and co. must be doing, between X amount of shady stuff they know about or suspect but can't prove yet (and the hope that they will be able to in time), and the terrible optics of Ford walking around free, committing crimes, daring them to arrest him, making it look like all of TPS is in his pocket. Surely they are weighing the damage this is doing to their public image (like, I can't imagine Giroux wants to go out like this) against the arrest(s) they still hope to make.

"Ford’s wife Renata is on the couch, a tired lounger that has been described to the Star by paramedics and firefighters who have attended calls at the house over the past two years."

I don't know about the firefighters, but I'm surprised the Star managed to get even a description of the furniture from the paramedics.

I feel sorry for Mrs. Ford that the Star felt it necessary to print that ( about her marriage ). I guess they're just doing their job, but what a way to sell papers.

One thing I've noticed about Kevin's writing is that he doesn't include things unless they are important. IIRC from the ITO, there was an area in Rob's basement mentioned but was redacted and we were speculating why. The lounger is described as being in the basement, put the dots together people. For some reason, the lounger is important, I guess, maybe......

"Ford’s wife Renata is on the couch, a tired lounger that has been described to the Star by paramedics and firefighters who have attended calls at the house over the past two years."

I don't know about the firefighters, but I'm surprised the Star managed to get even a description of the furniture from the paramedics.

I feel sorry for Mrs. Ford that the Star felt it necessary to print that ( about her marriage ). I guess they're just doing their job, but what a way to sell papers.

"Paramedics and firefighters" rather than police .. implies several emergency medical situations, such as ODs.

It's crazy, the balancing act Giroux and co. must be doing, between X amount of shady stuff they know about or suspect but can't prove yet (and the hope that they will be able to in time), and the terrible optics of Ford walking around free, committing crimes, daring them to arrest him, making it look like all of TPS is in his pocket. Surely they are weighing the damage this is doing to their public image (like, I can't imagine Giroux wants to go out like this) against the arrest(s) they still hope to make.

With so much at stake it's almost certain that there will ultimately be an inquiry to review TPS' actions. Only questions are whether it will be public or private, and if it will be convened by TPS, SIU, OPP, the city or the province.

ahahaha, I saw this on twitter this morning:

racistmayor.jpg

Attachments

• racistmayor.jpg
    racistmayor.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 755
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back