News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The "Obay" ads a few months ago had everyone scratching their heads and running to Google to try and determine what it was all about. (But they dropped the ball by not having a website.) Cool.

The "er" ads looked like either a printing error or an unfinished billboard and tended to go unnoticed. Walking down Dundas St, the tri-vision on TLS was an expanse of nothing but white. What are you going to do, Google "er"? Lame.

That Bell logo is actually still in use-sort of!

Everyone: I have noticed that Verizon(I never liked that name-Bell Atlantic was clearly a better name for a Baby Bell Company) still uses the 1969 bell outline image on things such as their payphones.

The Bell System logo evolution posted by Smuncky and TKTKTK which I remember seeing elsewhere previously also carries the 1984 AT&T logo-which I prefer much more then the newer updated version.

Yes-I feel that 1969 outline logo is a good candidate for a international logo-like an international road sign of sorts. Thoughts from LI MIKE

At least it's an improvement over this:

bellcanadalogo.gif

"A visual and distinct design that captures who we are as an organization in a single accessible image. The Bell logo is composed of a human profile, representing not only the human side of our company but the very heart of all our efforts: the customer. The profile, turned toward the future, is surrounded by two open rings, symbolizing the dynamic future of global communications."

So the logos previously posted were the American Bell, this is what Canada's bell has looked like through the ages:

(striped from BCE's History of Innovation timeline)

1880.gif

1880 The first crest was adopted by the Board of Directors as Company By-law No. 14 on June 16, 1880 and was approved at a special Shareholders' Meeting on December 13 the same year. A double red band receiver, the type used on telephone sets of the period, is depicted along with the company's name and date of incorporation

1891.gif

1891 This crest has the appearance of a military badge. The Blake transmitter - named after inventor, Francis Blake - and the double red band receiver appear at the bottom of the design. A telephone pole line is illustrated in the centre.

1895.gif

1895 On November 29, 1895, The Bell Telephone Company of Canada obtained authorisation to use American Telephone & Telegraph Company's "Blue Bell" insignia.

1902.gif

1902 The following changes were made to the design of the logo: two stars were added and the "Ltd" was omitted from the corporate name.

1922.gif

1922 Maple leaves replaced the stars, giving the logo a distinct Canadian look.

1940.gif

1940 This new design was approved by President Charles Fleetford Sise, Jr., on December 18, 1939 and was introduced on January 1, 1940

1947.gif

1947 President Frederick Johnson approved this new logo in April 1947. The principal changes incorporated in the new emblem were: the substitution of the word "Service" on the bell for the words "Local and Long Distance Telephone", the re-design of the bell, and an increase in the size and clarity of the company name.

1965.gif

1965 On July 30, 1965, President Marcel Vincent, approved modifications to the Company logo to reinforce the Canadian identity of ownership, management and service. The new logo displays the words, "BELL CANADA", and replaces both the English and French crests. In 1968, an Act of Parliament amended the company charter to include Bell Canada as one of the legal names.

1976.gif

1976 Bell art director, Colin McMichael, simplified the bell to present a more contemporary look. Coincident with the introduction of this logo, a new corporate signature, a stacked "Bell Canada", made its first public appearance. The signature and the logo were not used together. In fact, the signature spelled the eventual demise of the pictorial bell.

1977.gif

1977 Don Black, corporate design manager, was one of the key persons involved in developing this word-symbol version of the corporate logo, which made its first appearance on company vehicles in 1977. It replaced the bell symbol which, in a succession of different forms, had served as the company's official symbol since 1895 and was linked in many people's minds with the "telephone company". Bell was on its way to becoming much more.

1994.gif

1994 On December 8, 1994, Bell Canada launched a distinctive new corporate logo. At the centre is a human profile, representing Bell employees and the focus of all their efforts, the customer. The profile is set within two open rings, symbolising the dynamic future of telecommunications - the ability to transmit sound, image and data instantly, wirelessly, across all frontiers. The Bell name appears directly beneath the profile, a graphic representation of how the company supports customers in all their communications needs. As our primary colour for nearly two decades, blue reflects and builds on a tradition, but with a new more vibrant tone. The warm yellow shade represents change.

1976.gif

1976 Bell art director, Colin McMichael, simplified the bell to present a more contemporary look. Coincident with the introduction of this logo, a new corporate signature, a stacked "Bell Canada", made its first public appearance. The signature and the logo were not used together. In fact, the signature spelled the eventual demise of the pictorial bell.

Boy, that versus this
belllogo6.jpg

No wonder they euthanized it within a year.

I mean, if you think the new letterhead's worse than the Helveticaesque 1977 rendition, compare those bells...

In my opinion the new Bell font looks ugly and unimaginative. Even with this new look, it doesn't change the fact this organization like every big corporations in the world being run by selfish individuals.

Bell Canada logo history...

TKTKTK: Interesting post on the evolution of the Bell Canada logo-I often wondered when they introduced their recent imagery - 1977 and 1994 were the dates. I liked the 1977 type logo and font for some reason-perhaps because it was simple. I thought the 1994 logo and typeface looked OK-I especially liked the letter font used for that one. I mistakenly thought that Bell Canada would introduce something even more interesting but they ended up just accenting that "ER" instead.

Adma-I do not remember that mid 70s logo at all-but I fully understand why they dropped it so quickly-there was just nothing to it.

Thoughts from Long Island Mike

I dunno, doesn't really have a ring to it...:p

I think Bell totally could've gone with a twist with their branding. They would stand out by maintianing their old 1902 logo and image of the old Bell but apply hi-tech mobile phones services with internet/ TV. Every other company is using thier flashy 21st century stuff, but I think bell can continue with their old image fine.

Instead of those beavers, oh god....:mad:

I don't mind the new logo, but the whole "er" campaign makes little sense.

The new Eaton Center Bell store (across from Old Navy) is all decked in the new logo only (for those that care).

BTW, ExpressVu is now Bell-TV and Sympatico is now Bell-Internet. Mobility remains mobility though.

The campaign reminds me of...was it Motorola or something? The one that had all those "jaw dropper" and "eye catcher" ads a while back...

bell internet? i wonder if the bell end users would agree to that?

booyashaka!

Back